best compiler?

Started by
25 comments, last by Ninkazu 20 years, 11 months ago
I''m torn between what compiler to use for my projects. I''ve heard gcc and G++ are very good, but I know nothing about them. I know a little Dev-Cpp, but it''s not as good as the others. I know most about VC++6 but that''s the crappiest of all (in terms of most optimized executables). Could you guys help me out? If you suggest something, please send some links where I can learn how to use it...
Sayonara!~Ninkazu
Advertisement
Dev-C++ rules in my opinion (I''ve said it a thousand times and I''ll say it again, every day, when I wake up ).

It doesn''t offer all the (useless) features of MSVC++, just the things you need for a fast development. Off course it''s only 99% bugfree, but it''s just a matter of time befor it comes totally bugfree.
The fact that it has a MSVC++ project importer that actually works has me bound to this product. My engine - work in progress - is developped with it (already over 12.000 lines of code made with Dev-C++) and I can only say that I keep on loving Dev-C++ more and more (*).

(*) Off course not as much as you, Marjolein (**)

(**) yes, she''s a developper too and also on this forum
[www.LifeIsDigital.net - My open source projects and articles.
Dev-C++ uses MinGW, which is a port of GCC.
Lol, here I am.

I always use Dev-C++ because Vich keeps telling me how much he loves it Till now I''ve never loved compilers, a boyfriend is enough for me
I prefer it above Microsoft Visual C++, I can''t come up with good arguments for that because I don''t have them.
You ask a religous question, the answer is a flame war

They are both good. I usually suggest MSVC since it is the de facto industry standard, and most tutorials are written using it.

Dev-C++ is pretty good too. I use it about 1/3 of the time. I like them both.
~~~~~Screaming Statue Software. | OpenGL FontLibWhy does Data talk to the computer? Surely he's Wi-Fi enabled... - phaseburn
Hum gcc don't produce best executable, msvc seems a little faster (e.g. http://www.boost.org/libs/smart_ptr/smarttests.htm ), and for real performance look for Intel or Vector{C} compilers.

For standart conformance gcc is the best but msvc is really near with version 7.1, look at http://boost.sourceforge.net/regression-logs/

I use boost as a bench for standart compliance because boost is really usefull when using C++.

And for IDE I use MS VS .Net which is the best I found.

[edited by - JesterLeCodeur on May 4, 2003 4:47:02 PM]

Wrong. VC++ 6 produces more optimized executables than GCC.
VC.NET improves on VC++6 and VC.NET 2003 produces the best optimized code of any compiler. But don''t take my word for it. Compare the generated assembly yourself.
Vector{C} and Intel C are still better than .NET 2003
VS.net 2003 produces better code than the Intel compiler. I can''t comment on VectorC, because I''ve never used it myself.
Well, all I''ve bought is VC++6, so... I''m trying to know what''s the best of that and other free compilers out there.
Sayonara!~Ninkazu

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement