best compiler?

Started by
25 comments, last by Ninkazu 20 years, 11 months ago
quote:Original post by beowulf
Bah, nobody mentioned Borland C++ Builder 6.0? I''m disappointed! hehe.

Is C++ Builder weaker than the others? I alwasy liked the high ANSI/ISO compliancy.

Borland isn''t weaker than others. Its pretty solid. The only catch is, it''s rather expensive!!! Even with its nice interface, I wouldn''t recommend a beginner to it, since beginners don''t usually don''t want to make that kind of commitment.
~~~~~Screaming Statue Software. | OpenGL FontLibWhy does Data talk to the computer? Surely he's Wi-Fi enabled... - phaseburn
Advertisement
quote:Original post by cowsarenotevil

You can hate VC++ but don't lie about it. The code is in fact faster than GCC in almost all cases, and the code is fine. The intel compiler only works on intel proccessors, too, which is why it's faster (intel-specific optimizations). There is no "best" compiler, just pick one and use it, and if you hate it, try something else.

-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-

um...
well, intel's compiler only works for the 386+ family - but microsoft's one also doesn't any more. wouldn't it be strange if intelC would be able to produce code for a apple-, ibm-, or sun-machines?
if you need code for powerpcs !use gcc!. it can even make binaries for mobile phones.

comparing g++ with visual c++ g++ will win in nearly all cases. i'm speaking of g++ 3.2.2 vs. vc++ 7.net. and you cannot say that vc++'s code is finer than g++'s one, since gcc has been designed to make elf binaries and vc++ uses windows-like thingies (don't know the name o_O). if you use gcc on windows, gcc has to use the foreign function access, and is therefore slower. on a linux system g++ code is 15% slower than intel code, and on windows it's nearly 30.
so don't use gcc in windows, for it's (still) bad. but i said use gcc if you like the gnu packages, and since windows-programmers usually don't like them, intel's compiler is the best for them.

[edited by - 666_1337 on May 6, 2003 10:46:54 AM]
our new version has many new and good features. sadly, the good ones are not new and the new ones are not good
All that I can say is Viva La Microsoft! So go out there and get yourself a copy of Visual C++.net; However, if you are cheap DevC++ is an okay compiler, and can be found at Bloodshed.net. I have used this compiler a couple of times and then got MVC++.

When are we going to research Artificial Retardation?

[edited by - add_ai on May 6, 2003 1:29:25 PM]
When are we going to research Artificial Retardation?
Actually, dev-c++ isn''t a compiler. It''s an IDE for MinGW, which is GCC with windows headers and libs. And you definitely don''t need VC .NET unless you can get it through a university or school.

MS VC++ ENTERPRISE. lotsa $$$$$ but its what the pros use
quote:Original post by hawflakes
MS VC++ ENTERPRISE. lotsa $$$$$ but its what the pros use

aehmmm..... ....... ....

well... it''s availible for lots of ''$$$$$'', but the ''pros'' do assembly and don''t need a compiler
our new version has many new and good features. sadly, the good ones are not new and the new ones are not good
quote:Original post by 666_1337
the ''pros'' do assembly and don''t need a compiler

This is the single most ludicrous statement I have ever heard.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement