Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Antony52

Level Designer and future.

Is it possible for someone to be a level designer for a long time.In other words continue the same line work as a level designer even if he/she is older?Above 50 and more.Sorry to all above 50 but I just want to know.Thanks.

No. Absolutely impossible.

It is scientifically proven that once an individual reaches the age of 50 that the ability to level design is that person is obliterated.

But really.. wtf are you thinking? Can someone continue being a trash-man or a bus driver once they reach 50? Yes. So why not a level designer?

[edited by - MrPoopypants on May 4, 2003 7:12:34 PM]

It depends. The industry moves quickly. Companies form every day, and die soon. You can, if you have a stable company. However, I feel dought. Technology moves quickly. If you don''t mind sacrificing large ammounts of sleep to learn a new scripting language or master new technology, you may be able to stay. Also, finances and stock. Game companies do run out of money. You might just end up in a layout if you are the best, because your 100k salary will support 2 or 3 noobies. If you want to stay in, create your own company. As long as you can get going, you can make your company and stay a designer for a long time. However, there is a big if. If you do get lots of money, you will stay in.

This is purple.
This is green.
This is black.

Sure is possible. Get hold of a stable company and don''t expect to get a high salary. Most level designers change role after awhile to get better salaries...

::aggression is the result of fear::

The same formula applies to anyone in a technology-dependant industry, not just level designers: There''ll be a place for you as long as you keep on top of current trends and technologies.

You can be a level designer at 90 if you are still capable enough to familiarize yourself with the engine of the day.

(You may have to work harder to convince your employer of this however.. 90 year old people have a tendency to come across as.. well, how can I put this delicately... "elderly.")

Brian Lacy
ForeverDream Studios

Comments? Questions? Curious?
brian@foreverdreamstudios.com

"I create. Therefore I am."