Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HexDump

geforce2 and point sprites... weird problems

Hello guys, I´m implementing point sprites in my engine but I have noticed really annoiyng problems. The main problem is the POINT_SIZE. if I have my particle structure this way: typedef struct { D3DXVECTOR3 Pos; float fPointSize; DWORD Color;} TParticleVertex; When I draw the particles with drawprimitive and later do a EndScene(), my comp reboots... Shit!, winxp gets fucked . A friend of mine told me that the problem was this point size, so I take it out of the structure and set it throught its render state: pDev->SetRenderState(D3DRS_POINTSIZE,1); Ok, this works now, it does not boot up my comp, but this way I can only have a size for all my particles .

quote:
Original post by HexDump
no one could help here pls?

hexDump.

i have an array of vertices then i loop throught each and set position point size and color then when i am ready to render i get a pointer to the vertices and copy them into the buffers

did you set the point size scalable renderstate to true.
i had the say issue but my computer did not crash,

pDev->SetRenderState(D3DRS_POINTSPRITEENABLE,TRUE);
pDev->SetRenderState(D3DRS_POINTSCALEENABLE,TRUE);

yes they are set... anyway I´m going to move to billboarding... I´m fed up of Point Spritres... they gimme more headaches than advantages.... this gf2 mx sux!!!!!

HexDump.

I am with you on that one. I run the code from the Special Effects Programming book and I get different sizes every time. I think Nvidia needs to figure out how to deal with point sprites because I'm using a Geforce 4 Ti 4600. I haven't tried it on an ATI card yet. Hopefully, their card has better point sprite support.

-dizzy
Game Institute Intern

[edited by - yzzid on May 5, 2003 8:48:21 PM]

MaxPointSize on a GF2 is 64, not very big. If you want large billboarded sprites (like smoke, fire, etc.) you shouldn''t use point sprites. Point sprites are good for little sparkley things, and that''s about it. I''m not sure why it crashed your computer though, I''ve never had that problem using point sprites with my GF2 in Win2K and VC++6.0.