what do u think about my engine idea?

Started by
33 comments, last by kiehl 20 years, 11 months ago
a few weeks ago i started working on my game engine, I know that a game engine is something HARD to do, especially for a beginner like me, and that there is a STRONG possibility that i might fail so to avoid failure i started searching on the net all the info there is about game engines , and started working on the design of my engine, at start my idea was to make a complete new engine, with its own file types and editors, but after reading all the info there is about the quake 3 engine and the file formats it uses (bsp, md3, md4, the vm for the scripts,pk3) i thought that maybe it will be easier to make a engine that uses the quake 3 file formats ( and maybe doom3 md5), since they are very well documented and there lots of tools (maya and 3ds plugins, qradient,etc) to work with then. does id cares that i use their file types??? what do u think about this??? [edited by - kiehl on May 4, 2003 7:04:45 PM]
my english sucks :(
Advertisement
quote:Original post by kiehl
does id cares that i use their file types???
what do u think about this???

Nah... everyone uses md*. Besides, file formats are non-copyrightable.
I read somewhere that id said they don''t mind people using their file formats, but not files from the leaked Doom 3 alpha.
quote:Original post by Kyo
I read somewhere that id said they don''t mind people using their file formats, but not files from the leaked Doom 3 alpha.

No way.

Questions to ask yourself:
1) How much experience do I have?
2) Is that enough experience to start something at a professional level?

Therefore, here is my advise:
Start low and make a text adventure engine .

- Rob Loach
Current Project: Go Through Object-Oriented Programming in C++ by Robert Lafore

"Do or do not. There is no try."
- Yoda
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
I am doing the same as well, except my engine already supports MD2 and BSP (somewhat). Now just getting the two to work together is a chore...

Good luck on your engine but remember: MULTIPLE INHERITANCE IS YOUR FRIEND; use it well.

In terms of using someone elses file formats, its the best way to do it. Quite possibly the only better way to do it is use your own but write a converter that converts other formats into yours.
I believe if you look into it ID doesn''t mind at all if someone uses their file formats, but will not allow others to use their tools in a distributed program. So try to find some tools that were made by outside individuals that use the ID formats.
If I recall correctly:

• You can''t use file formats from Doom 3, because that would mean you''d need models and stuff from the Doom 3 alpha, which AFAIK it is still illegal to have.

• The advantage of using the quake formats is that there is indeed lots of info out there. If memory serves, GameTutorials has a good series on BSP files.

• They don''t want you using their tools for a commercial project. However, the source code for the Q3 tools is available, so you can use that to find out how the tools work and their write your own.

• Nobody is going to care if you''re using their stuff in a non-commercial, non-release project. If this is purely for educational purposes (and seeing as you''re a beginner, it probably is) then go ahead.

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates, and when he''s not doing that, runs The Binary Refinery.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

quote:Therefore, here is my advise:
Start low and make a text adventure engine .

i know that this is probably a project that requires more experience than the one i have at this moment, but this is the kind of project that really motives me, and that will certainly make me learn a LOT (even if i fail)

about the doom3 md5, i think i will add support to it when doom3 comes (officially) out
my english sucks :(
"file formats are non-copyrightable"
Awesome. That was something I was worried about for awhile.. Thanks!
this place is lame

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement