Dessiner le contour d'un modèle (drawing the contour of a model)

Started by
12 comments, last by Daivuk 20 years, 11 months ago
quote:
imo its VERY bad manners to post/talk in ones own langague when the primary langauge of a chatroom/msg board/whatever is say English.

[offtopic]
It's always easy to tell people "write in english", if english happens to be your own native tongue. But sometimes it can be hard to express technical questions in english for non native speakers. I personally find it perfectly acceptable to post an occasional question in a different language. If you're seriously interested in the topic, then I'm sure someone will summarize the topic for you in english, if you ask.
[/offtopic]

[edited by - Yann L on May 4, 2003 10:37:20 PM]
Advertisement
I agree that the process of communication can be impeded if you are not fluent in the language that you are trying to speak or (even worse) write in... and technical discussions are even more troublesome; but I do think that this goes both ways. In another thread concerning picking objects in 3d (here) the last 3 post are in French.

Maybe, it would be beneficial to have someone that is fluent in the language of the post to additionally summarize the post as a courtesy to us more challenged. I know we could Babblefish the post but sometimes that doesn’t work out so well and the translation comes out hackneyed at best.

What would really be cool is if we had the ability to link a thread or a specific message to a translated message - as I said above this could go both ways... if a post were in English and someone needed the message to be translated to _F_I_L_L_B_L_A_N_K_ they could select the message and then select the language for the message to be translated to and then wait for some nice person to help... once the message is translated there could be an icon or some text showing that the message had been translated. Disk space is cheap right?

Anyway, thanks and Game On!

Dave "Dak Lozar" Loeser
Dave Dak Lozar Loeser
"Software Engineering is a race between the programmers, trying to make bigger and better fool-proof software, and the universe trying to make bigger fools. So far the Universe in winning."--anonymous
OK. To summarize this thread: Daivuk needed a way to draw the contours (the silhouette) of an arbitrary object in OpenGL. I suggested a technique closely related to cartoon rendering (see the nvidia link), because a geometric silhouette extraction can be expensive and is prone to mathematical instabilities. TerranFury proposed a quick and easy way to achieve a similar result, by rendering an object twice, first the backfacing polys in black, and then, while slightly reducing the size of the object, the front faces in white.

There you go. I even added a translation to the thread title
lol

When a post begin in english, he finish in french, ans if he begin in french, he finish in english

thanks all. I think i got enough information to make it done.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement