Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Qa303asmGuru

Here we go again, OpenGL vs. D3D, but this is actually for a formal report paper

I love and use both graphics APIs, this is not a flame war. What I DO need to know is where that great article went that compared the two in an unbiased form, or if anybody knows of any other articles that do the same. I need the information for a formal report (final project for technical writing). Topic: "An analysis and comparison of two systems or devices with the purpose of recommending one to your employer." The employer is going to be myself, and I''m doing the research to make a decision on which graphics API to use in my next project (which in reality, will be both...but for the report I need to pick one). Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and don''t worry I''m doing my google homework. I''m just looking for additional sources that I may not find googling. Thanks. -Q | My Unfinished Page | | I need answers! | | Genaside presents: Hazard Ball | | Maddox |

Interesting idea.

I personally use:
Microsoft''s DirectX because "If you can''t beat ''em, join ''em."

- Rob Loach
Current Project: Go Through Object-Oriented Programming in C++ by Robert Lafore

"Do or do not. There is no try."
- Yoda

Hi
I''ve been using both and here is what I think.
OpenGL is good, simple and efficient. Direct3D is good, complicated and efficient.
But I think Direct3D is better than OpenGL because of microsoft''s efforts to keep it up to date with latest technology. And thats why I am using it.
OpenGL on its side, is so simple that it gives you the feeling that things are hidden ( you dont really see matrices, you just push and pop''em ). I dont like that, but some people do.

If you only want to draw spheres and quads, and move them around, pick OpenGL. If you''d like to use hardware vertex processing, multiple texturing and vertex shaders, choose Direct3D, you won''t regret it.

More "terre à terre" (cant find the english for this), consider the compiler you will use: if you work with MSDev, use DirectX, its integration is better.

++

If it''s a formal paper, then personal opinions don''t matter. All replies should bear that in mind.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL Docs | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost
Asking Questions | Organising code files | My stuff | Tiny XML | STLPort]

Thanks for the replies. I wrote the paper and got an A on it, so I must have known what i was talking about all along (either that or the teacher didn''t have a clue and just gave me the grade)

quote:
Original post by tibo
But I think Direct3D is better than OpenGL because of microsoft''s efforts to keep it up to date with latest technology...

Hehehe... look who never found the OpenGL extension mechanism.

How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

quote:
Original post by Sneftel
Original post by tibo
But I think Direct3D is better than OpenGL because of microsoft''s efforts to keep it up to date with latest technology...
Hehehe... look who never found the OpenGL extension mechanism.

How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

hehe.

Actually neither is better than the other. It''s entirely up to the programmer and the task at hand as to which one gets used. I''m more experienced with OpenGL, but I can''t wait to start using Direct3D in addition to GL .

Both are marvelous at what they are made to do. Truthfully, I used to be a pro-OGL, anti-D3D person, but now I''m convinced that both are awesome and allow me to do whatever kind of graphics I want to do. I only develop for the windows box anyway, so I have no more bias.

Yes I know I irrelevently repeated myself several times. I am unbiased.

-Q

| My Unfinished Page | | I need answers! | | Genaside presents: Hazard Ball | | Maddox |