Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

granat

Who decides if the missile should explode.

Hoster tells client that a missile has been fired. Missile is not 100% in sync on those 2 machines. On the client the missile seems to hit something. The server does not think so. Should the missile only explode or react to collisions when the server tells it to or should the client react and then be able to abort later ? I''m thinking the server should have to tell the client, because once you have started an explosion, it would look weird to cancel it.

i agree with that completely. let the server decide, the client should only handle graphics and input.

Battlezone created a missile on everyone's machine and carried out its behavior with no guidance from any other machine. If on your machine you take damage, that information is reported to the other machines.

So sometimes, on your screen, the missile struck and did nothing because on the other machine it missed. Other times, the tank would explode even though the missile missed on your machine, but on their machine it hit.

In one particular instant, if I remember correctly, I fired a guided missile and destroyed two tanks with it, because both their machines determined that the missile struck THEIR tank.

Even though the game had these strange effects, we all still had a good time with few complaints. We learned to play around the idiocincr.. idiosinc.. wierdness.

Battlezone 2 became totally server based, with its own strange side effects (the server would alter the situation every now and then, undoing damage I thought I was causing successfully - one time a whole enemy squad was restored), but ultimately more tournament worthy because the server made ALL the decisions about what happened.

Anyway, my point is you could let the missile explode on one machine, but just let the server ultimately decide what happens when it comes to applying the missile's ultimate game effect. Of course, it would be disappointing to be blown up by a missile you never knew was coming and didn't have a chance to dodge it, just because your machine thinks the missile struck the side of a hill 5 seconds beforehand...

[edited by - Waverider on May 5, 2003 5:11:14 PM]