Odd Managed DirectX9 Installation Problem

Started by
5 comments, last by torquel 20 years, 11 months ago
Has anyone heard of a problem installing the DX9 SDK where the managed DirectX DLL's are not put in %systemroot%\Microsoft.NET\, or anywhere for that matter. I have tried reinstalling the SDK over and over, tried installing just the runtime, or just the C# portion of the SDK and still nothing. All that copies are the .XML files. But for each XML file there is a DLL. I have also searched through the extracted directory where you execute the SDK installation and could not find the DLL's, only the XML files. Just plain weird, if anyone has a fix for this I'de be most appreciative. Thanks [edited by - torquel on May 5, 2003 5:21:35 AM]
- torquel
Advertisement
This is a pretty common question in here, actually - someone should put it in a faq or something.

You need to copy them out of the GAC manually - its under \%windir%\Assembly. Unfortunately, the GAC shell extension prevents you from accessing the dlls in the GAC directly, so you''ll have to do it from the command line.

(There''s another way too: subst X: \WINNT\Assembly - this will map the GAC to your X drive, without the shell extension)

"To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin."
-- Cardinal Bellarmine
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
I had the same problem. I finally tried installing the Developer Runtime and it worked. (The redist runtime didn''t do it.)
Ah, I thank you very much. Rather odd that Microsoft has not addressed this issue and released a new installer or something. Technically it should come with the DX9 Runtime.
- torquel
My experience was, that depending on how you install it, it will work though.

I somehow depends on the order in which you install things. Regardless of what you do, do not install the DX Runtime Environment 9a......or afterwards, you won''t be able to install the C# SDK anymore without altering the DX Version entry in the registry.....as it will not let you install an older DX over 9a....and the DX SDK for C# has a lower version number....
That makes sense actually. Because I installed DirectX 9.0a runtime before installing DX9SDK.
- torquel
Anybody heard when the SDK will be updated to 9.0a?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement