• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bilsa

structures?

This topic is 5623 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello again I got a couple of questions about structures. I have been reading some about them but haven't found any resource where they have any information that goes "deep"... Well, what is the differense between a structure and a class and when should I use either of them? So far I have only been using classes, since I have never understood why I should use a structure insted? But then when I bought Jim's Programming RPG book, I saw that he uses structures for Vertex information. Why shouldn't I use a class instead? And lets say that I don't fill my structure completely, just use a couple of variables inside it, will the others still consume memory? So, basically I am asking for the pros and cons of a structure VS a class. If anyone has a very informative resource where structures are described I would be very happy if you could share it. Thak you! [edited by - bilsa on May 5, 2003 9:32:09 AM]

Advertisement
In C++, the only difference between a class and a struct is that with a struct, the default access class is public, whereas the default for a class is private. Generally, I use a struct if it has public data members, but a class otherwise.

[edit]
Any data member will consume memory, even if you never use it. This is the same whether you use struct or class (because they are essentially the same thing).

[edited by - tr0n on May 5, 2003 9:35:41 AM]

>And lets say that I don''t fill my structure completely, just use a couple of variables inside it, will the others still consume memory?

UHmm, yes.Like:

struch MyPocket {
int dollars;
int DanishKroner;
int EnglishPounds;
};

MyPocket pocket1;

pocket1.dollars = 100000; //I wish!

pocket1.dollars++;

--
DanishKroner and EnglishPounds still takes up memory here. On a 32 bit system, an int is 4 bytes: 32 bits. So each instance of MyPocket would use 96 bits - even if you are only using the dollars variable.

Struct vs Class in C++.
Well, the easiest way to use them isto use a struct if there are no functions on it, and a class if the datatype requires functions. That way your code probably would be more readable. But in C++ struct and class are essentially the same except for the default scope. ie

struct bla {
//this is public!
int i;
private:
//this is private
int b;
};

class bla2 {
//this is private!
int i;
public:
//this is public
int b;
};

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!