Where to start please help?

Started by
5 comments, last by Antony52 20 years, 11 months ago
I want to make a simple very simple physics engine even just a program with just one physic ability,e.g.cloth simulation.But I dont know where to start?How much should I use OpenGL fpr the task?Where to find examples etc.Please help anyway you can.Thanks.
Advertisement
Before trying to make a cloth simulation program, it would probably serve you better to learn opengl thoroughly. Also before trying to do something complex like cloth simulation, try programming something that uses newtonian physics. Like a ball bouncing or something involving projectile motion. good luck and happy coding.

,Matt

-= kill one your a murderer, kill thousands your a conquerer =-
-= kill one you're a murderer, kill thousands you're a conquerer =-
I''ll second samosa''s recommendation. Start simpler . Don''t think cloth simulation. Think bouncing ball. That''s fairly simple. And if you aren''t really good at math or physics already, do not think about dealing with friction or rotation. Just a simple bouncing ball.

That said, here is a resource that can help. But it is a somewhat advanced article. (Registration at gamasutra.com is free.)

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20020118/vandenhuevel_02.htm

Which can help if you want to move from a simple ball bouncing up and down on the ground to multiple balls bouncing off of each other.

Graham Rhodes
Senior Scientist
Applied Research Associates, Inc.
Graham Rhodes Moderator, Math & Physics forum @ gamedev.net
samosa...what a nick. Sounds like the name of a girlscout cookie!

Hey, I''m just kidding, .

Graham Rhodes
Senior Scientist
lol, its a indian pastery that, apparently, is filled with cooked meat. I liked the name so I use it. My fried says it tastes really good, I need to find a place to get it.

,Matt

-= kill one your a murderer, kill thousands your a conquerer =-
-= kill one you're a murderer, kill thousands you're a conquerer =-
Could I use Lua for making this example since it is easier?
quote:Original post by samosa
lol, its a indian pastery that, apparently, is filled with cooked meat. I liked the name so I use it. My fried says it tastes really good, I need to find a place to get it.

Oh yeah, I''ve had these at Indian restaurants. They are good, but quite filling and heavy.

Graham Rhodes
Senior Scientist

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement