Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alpha_Raptor

help! graduation dependant on this!

OK, I am in need of some major assistance here! At my Highschool we have a mandatory project called Senior Project. we choose something we are interested in and learn more about it. We write a paper and do an activity of sorts then present it to a borard in late may. I chose game development. My paper is about how to get into the game industray and start my own development studio, and the project is to learn as much about programming and (hopefully) create a working game/demo to show off to the board, I planned to make it similar to the way a person would propose a game to a publisher, showing the demo, explaining the demo and the way it was made, the target/goals, and marketing and financial issues, and other important material. I would just make it more broad in topic and discuss general game dev business plans as a whole versus for the specific game. The problem I''ve come up with is that I need a person to be my ''mentor'' as it seems difficult to find someone in my respective field. What I am asking is for someone to help fill this role for me. It wouldnt require much time on your part (about 2-3 meetings totaling 5 hours at most) and I can conform to your schedule/area to meet with you. I live in Bonney Lake, Washington and need someone who lives anywhere remotly in the greater Puget Sound/Seattle region. I''ll drive to meet wherever is convenient with you and force my schedule to conform with yours. I am pretty desperate as my graduation is balanced on the completion of this. The School (Summner High School)requires that the mentor be "a practicing professional or someone well versed---a minimum of two years experience in the field." and they cannot be another student or recent graduate (within five years but I might be able to convince them to make an acception for someone only 3-4 years past if you are currently in the industry due to my current troubles). Anyone willing to help me please contact me through this thread or by my email: satansnemesis@hotmail.com All help given will be very appretiated and I''ll even buy you coffee or a meal each time we meet. Thank you for your time in reading this and a big thank you in advance for whoever responds. Thank you again, Nate Stewart

To add on to my plea, I should probably mention what you have to do...

You just have to look at what I am doing and tell me what is OK, whats wrong, and advise me on other things to change/place in it.

Thank you again!

It takes years to learn how to program well, a year atleast to learn enough programming just to START game programming.

You really dug yourself into a pit.

"Few creatures of the night have captured our imagination like vampires..." Godsmack
DigiCode - My solo company in progress.

I know...my hope is to make a couple of SMALL demo games, like pong. Right now though Im hoping to just make a couple of tech demos through tutorials from this site and others. Some things like nehe's opengl tuts are what I'm trying now, and im using the Sam's Teach Yourself Game Programming in 21 days book too, but thats now 2 days overdue from the library...

What I am really needing is for someone who understands to just sign off that I am really doing the stuff and give a few pointers. The mentor is to proove that i didnt copy someone else...though in programming that could be hard to proove...so im using unique comments.

[edited by - Alpha_Raptor on May 5, 2003 9:42:56 PM]

I'm serious, even to make pong, you have to know a programming language first, which at minimum takes 6 months.

The most popular languages for game programming are C/C++, of course there are exceptions.

You just can't do it, there's no way.

I mean even if you learned a bit about the programming language you still have to learn direct3d or opengl.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

//EDIT - it is a very bad idea to try and learn game programming first, because sooner or later it'll just loose you.

"Few creatures of the night have captured our imagination like vampires..." Godsmack
DigiCode - My solo company in progress.

[edited by - Drevay on May 5, 2003 9:52:03 PM]

You will either have to cheat and pass someone else''s game off as your own, or find a game that you are capable of making, which means no graphics. You could make a text-based blackjack or mastermind game without too much trouble.

How much time do you have for this project?

If a simple game is all you need, why bother going with graphics?

You can make a complete game out of text. Learn how to use C/C++, especially strings and logic functions.

Honestly, if you spend about 70% of your efforts on design, and the remaining 30% on coding/testing/debugging/upgrading, you will end up with a well thought out, well planned project that will most likely make the grade.

If you MUST use graphics, I suggest you use use something simpler than OpenGL or D3D. Since you are already using C/C++, if you are using Borland you can use BGI for graphics (I used BGI for my senior project and I earned a 98% on mine). If you are using Visual Studio, I suggest using Win32 GDI for graphics. These APIs are much simpler to learn and use, and will suffice for your project.

I may have not suggested the absolute BEST route for you to go, so I'm sure someone else will completely disagree with everything I've said and tell you something else.

It's just the route I'd take if I were in your position.

BTW, I can't meet with you because I do not have 2 years professional experience (although I have 7 years personal ), and I'm nowhere near your location.

Hope that helps. If the coding part becomes way to cumbersome, maybe you can just create a complete design doc for a game idea for your project. It's a lot more complicated than you think, and if documented and explained well, you should do just fine.

-Q

| My Unfinished Page | | I need answers! | | Genaside presents: Hazard Ball | | Maddox |

[edited by - qa303asmguru on May 5, 2003 10:15:01 PM]

try darkbasic, it should let you whip something up pretty quick. its still going to take a while probably.

You can always buy game programmers all in one Book and just walk throgh that and you will have a 2D game at the end.

Thanks a lot for your advice. I agree about a lot of that after the struggles I''ve been going through. I think that I''m going to just change it around a bit, explain the difficulties and lessons I have learned, and show off a couple visual elements, like a spinning opengl 3D cube that I made a while back, and the ''Bouncing Smiley" that I made before, along with any of the lesson code that I used. instead of showing a game, I''ll show aspects of the technical side, and explain the difficulties, and all that I learned about it all.

Does that sound very possible to you? I have some TI calculator BASIC programming experience from freshman/sophmore year that I could apply. It was almost entirely text based programs that I made back then. Showing them a text based calculator adventure game along with some simple 3d animations (aka the spinning cube)and some of my C++ game tut code I worked on and making a solid presentation about it sound like a good idea for me, since I''ve been dabling in some of those tuts since junior year.

Thanx for all of your advise.

You can also program in Vb I made a game in it in about 3 days it sucked but it still was a 2d game with the user that you could move a sprite around the screen and bump in to objects

kingpinz- thats what I''ve been doing with sams teach self game prog in 24, but its taking a LONG time, more than I had expected(24 hours...huh)

I borrowed all in one from a friend and brushed through it, is that much longer or is there a shorter book?

Guest Anonymous Poster
there''s (almost) always a way to make things work. (think ''BS'' here).

given your current situation, show in your paper/presentation the requirements for doing this sort of thing- explain that you need a good deal of knowledge and expertise even to do what others may consider simple tasks in programs. not only would that give you a decent presentation topic, it might make them a little sympathetic to your situation and the fact that you have less to show them than you thought you would.

also, try looking into getting some exceptions made. explain that it can be hard to find professionals in the gaming industry in all geographic locations and that you therefore had trouble finding someone. if you find someone online, try to get the board to allow you to ''meet'' with them online through IMs, chats, and such. after all, it is a technology related field, they should allow you to use technology for whatever you can. and a major function of the Internet is communication

there is some basic code to put in and after that you just plug in what you want. I have the sample code at home. right now I am work at dell tec right now. so if you want I will bring the sample in and you will see how easy it is but it also slower then anything

If I did that Id have to have you send a signed letter or something because they want signatures and proof that I didn''t copy it. Maybe I could send a scanned version of the form to someone? But actually they wouldn''t allow that. They want the mentor to "check up" on the student, see different versions of the work in progress in different stages. If anyone has a bright Idea on this, I''d love to hear it.
They also want to call up the mentor and confirm that s/he is real. one student in the past orchastrated a complete hoax including a fack mentor, they take this too seriously.

kingpinz- you mean ''bring in'' as in you could meet me? or are you saying we try to pull it off entirely online? cause I don''t think that would fly well with them...but thanks anyway.

no I mean bring it to work and email it to you so you will see what I mean. You can do it all your self. Trust me it is easy.

quote:
Original post by Alpha_Raptor
I have some TI calculator BASIC programming experience

I actually used a small demo demonstrating Ti86 assembly, in conjunction with the BGI for my graduation project.

Ti86 asm also inspired part of my screen name.

-Q

| My Unfinished Page | | I need answers! | | Genaside presents: Hazard Ball | | Maddox |

I would ask tomorrow about what would be acceptable proof of a mentor, such as home/work phone number, resume, place of work, etc. They may be lenient if you offer enough evidence.

Hehe, at my high school we had a senior focal project also and I took 4 years of programming and made this text based RPG that took me about 45 hours (of recorded programming time). It wasn''t too shabby, took about 10 minutes to beat the game, had a few gliches, but I programmed it with data files and stuff, real basic. Good luck with your project, just thought I''d give my input

I just recheck the ''timeline'' for things for the project and I have until the 14th of this month!!! I misread it before, though its just the portfolio, which has all of the research journal, and conference papers...
OK heres what I''ll do:

-Make a quick OpenGL colored cube, like in the NeHe lessons 1-8 (code as many of the lessons as I can)
-Pull up a couple of my old TI calc games and do what I can w/ those and make few new ones (something on non-PC hardware might impress them...i originaly hope to gat a linker and flash cart and make a simple gameboy game that could then be run on actuall gameboy hardware, but that cost too much..)
-use the code as much as possible that kingpinz will send (thank you!!!)
-talk to project advisor tomorrow about exceptions for mentors (originally I thought they said a didnt need to have one, but they mean ''at that moment'')
-take all of the code i can make from my learning through tuts the past months and compile what I can into a working program.
-anything else you can think of.

just thought of this - do you think that if i went up to digipen (abt an hour away from me) and tried to speak to one of the profs, they would help me out? its just a thought.
I''ve tried nintendo but that hasn''t been working well...maybe i could talk to someone @ microsoft? I dont know how well it would work since its such a huge corp

Thanks for all of your advise and support.

Guest Anonymous Poster
second semester senior proscratinating, I see. My senior project has been finished for quite a bit. If you want to get a meeting with a programmer in a company that is based near you, you first need to call them and ask them. I know when I went to SGI and saw all those kickass super duper computers, all I had done was a phone call and they allowed me to visit and interview a professional programmer. But if your project is due the 14th, i''d say you are basically screwed unless you really move your butt and start working. With all my AP''s and finals coming this week and next week, i know I would have no time at all to do my final project.

Good Luck.

Don''t be discouraged. Anyone can do their senior project in advance. It takes a real man to leave it ''till the last week. Most programmers I''ve met are procrastinators as well. Hopefully, you can find one sympathetic to your cause. On the other hand, programmers are often very busy too.

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
second semester senior proscratinating, I see.

sounds like a classic case of senioritis to me.

something that I forgot to mention earlier:

being a senior you probably already know this, but just in case, SUCKING UP can work as BS. I assume you needed the graphing calculator for a math course you took? well then connect your other classes and overall education to your focus- say how those other classes gave you the opportunity to explore your interests, through programming on the calculator.

or you could mention that the school''s computers encouraged you to explore technology. make them feel good. if they think they did good with their introduction of technology to students and you show it, they''ll feel proud of their work

all this discussion makes me think about something: perhaps I should spend less time thinking of ways to BS things and spend more time actually doing them. hmmm. but hey, the BS works for me