Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GekkoCube

how to program the presentation (menu interface) of a game?

By "presentation" i mean the title, credits, menu''s...etc. Im wondering if a 3d game still uses the 3d engine for the presentation? for example, i would like to start on that on my game now. but i need to know if such menu''s are done with billboards/quads, or blitting? Honestly, I have no clue as to how the menu''s are done for a 3D game such as Super Mario World. Can somebody lead me or show me to the answer? thanks.

Im not sure how this would be done in directX i have virtually no experience with it, but in opengl you could simply switch to ortho projection and draw textured quads for everything. Thats how I did my gui.

Basically a CWindowElement base class, then have everything else you want derive from that
CButton : public CGuiElement
CListBox : public CGuiElement
CTextBox : public CGuiElement

and so on....

each object overriding the Draw function and whatnot...

works good. and you can easily build your menu from a text file.

quote:
Original post by dopeflow
Im not sure how this would be done in directX i have virtually no experience with it, but in opengl you could simply switch to ortho projection and draw textured quads for everything. Thats how I did my gui.

Basically a CWindowElement base class, then have everything else you want derive from that
CButton : public CGuiElement
CListBox : public CGuiElement
CTextBox : public CGuiElement

and so on....

each object overriding the Draw function and whatnot...

works good. and you can easily build your menu from a text file.

Looks very similar to mine...

ScrollBox_C : public baseObject_C
TextBox_C : public baseObject_C
Label_C : public baseObject_C
etc, etc

And, I also use virtual functions for my draw, mouse down/up, key down/up, so it seems our GUI''s have much in common (it''s also in gl).

All my objects can be set to call a function per frame, which is usefull for things like a clock, where each frame it''s function gets called, and that function can update it''s caption to display the current time. Also, command buttons has to be passed a function to be called when it''s clicked, so it can do something . I also simply use quads to display my windows + objects.

You would use state based processing. This concept is explained and implemented exceptionally well in Jims Adams book "Programming RPGs with DirectX".

[edited by - Ethereal on May 7, 2003 12:44:04 PM]