Do modelers love headphones or what?

Started by
18 comments, last by wikedgamer 20 years, 11 months ago
Lyrical? Yes. Coding along, then boom. I just typed in the last stanza instead of the function I was writing.
Instrumental? No. Actually quite soothing.

(Exception to lyrical: Foreign languages. If you can''t understand it, how can you write it?)

Curse you windows and your poor explanation of my errors!!!
Curse you windows and your poor explanation of my errors!!!
Advertisement
I listen to Music all day at my work, I''m a programmer and the Lyrics don''t really bother me... I try to keep the music fresh so that I don''t alway know all the words that way I''m not as distracted.. I also find that on some Projects I need loud music and other projects I need soft music...

Now keep in mind I''m a Web Developer.. and when I go home and program my personal game projects alot of the time I don''t have any music, however i have the TV behind me on.. usually Hockey or something like that..

Please visit Turt99 Productions
FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER OR MY BLOG
I listen to music while coding sometimes but usually I find that when I''m actually coding, the song goes unnoticed but when I am pondering something I notice it. But I suck at programming so maybe it''s not a good idea
I sometimes just put mine on to stop people talking to me, or listen to the news.

Music is not the only sound to come out of headphones. Noise cancelling headphones exist, this allows them to NOT listen to other people''s music.

Ture, music is not the only reason I use headphones. If I''m playing a game with killer sound I like to put em on and crank it sometimes.
quote:Original post by m_wherrett
I get the feeling you see more modellers and animators listening to music because I often find lyrics to be distracting when I code. I certainly can''t write and listen to music. In the case of modelling / animating, there is ess use of language so people singing in your ear is less annoying.

I find music keeps me focused when I code, but when I write a paper or something, the lyrics distract me.

I also find that when I listen to hard stuff, I comment less and get the algorithm coded faster than if I listen to soft stuff. This is pretty interesting. I should just listen to hard stuff all the time. But when I listen to soft stuff, the algorithm is usually of better quality.

- Rob Loach
Current Project: Go Through Object-Oriented Programming in C++ by Robert Lafore

"Do or do not. There is no try."
- Yoda
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
I write code and listen to music at the same time, doesn''t bother me a bit, actually I can not get anything done here without headphones on.
I listen to music while coding, but often I just tune it out after a while. Sometimes I can start one of my playlists and then a while later wonder "Didn''t I just hear this one?", realizing it has looped through the whole playlist, a few hours worth of music.

--
Spearhawk productions
Project Andromeda
I have my heavy metal playlist running all the time!

I have a tendency to start drumming with my feet though.. And whistle the guitar solos =D That equals bad code.
________________________________pro.gram.mer - an organism that turns caffeine into code
If you are coding, then it is probably a good idea to listen to music without lyrics (techno, rave, final fantasy :D). It is always good to be able to listen to music from your favorite game and not be concerned with lyrics (or at least no lyrics you can understand -- ff8 used latin lyrics in my fav song off that game).

Final Fantasy 8 -- Libera Fatali (check it out!)
link

==================
My (soon-to-be) Cherished Cookie of Appreciation:

-- MattB - for WinSock advice --

[edited by - zackriggle on May 6, 2003 3:12:00 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement