Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Qa303asmGuru

Lava Lamp Screensaver

I was watching my girlfriends lava lamp the other day, and thought "that would make a really cool screen saver". The thing is, I'm not really sure how to approach this 'liquid physics' type simulation. I'm already very fluent in C/C++, OpenGL, and DirectX, so we're way past that part. What I wanted to get some feedback on some possible approaches to creating the effect seen in lava lamps. I was thinking that I'd start (and this kind of a stab in the dark) with some 3D models of blobs, that I'd create with truespace and create some animation states for one blob. Then I'd have to use some pretty hefty collision detection, and test for the proper animation frame to be displayed, based on the variables of the collision. That's some quick brainstorming, but something leads me to believe that there is a much better way to simulate this. Any thoughts? Feedback much appreciated. I always seem to learn something new from GameDev members. | My Unfinished Page | | I need answers! | | Genaside presents: Hazard Ball | | Maddox | [edited by - qa303asmguru on May 5, 2003 11:01:02 PM]

There''s a 3d lavalamp sim included in the xscreensaver that comes with RedHat linux, since it is included in linux it has to be open source, so you could try searching for its source.

Marijn