Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Visual Studio 6 or .NET

This topic is 5330 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I am currently using Visual Studio 6. I am considering purchasing Visual Studio .NET but i am not entirely sure if I should. Any suggestions/recommendations would be appreciated? Thanks

Well, VS.NET 2003 Pro is extremely expensive (around ~$1,000 USD). If you''re not interested in all the tools of VS.NET (mostly support for several languages), I would recommend going with one of the Standard stand-alones. Each goes for about $110 USD, and unlike the Standard edition of previous, they are fully featured (except for items exclusive to Studio). But if you have the money, it''s worth it.

If you are a student and don''t intend to make money off of your programs you can pick up VS.net for 150$. I have only seen it for 150$ but a friend of mine got it through his prof for 20$.

if you do purchase vs.net, i will be more than happy to take the vs6 off your hands. jus drop me an email if you consider it.

------------------------------------------------------------
I really need to update this signature...

Microsoft is signing many deals with professors/teachers now that allow them to distribute an Academic Edition of VS.NET to some of the students for free. I find nothing wrong with this version.

When is VS.NET 2003 Pro being released? It''ll be such a pain to upgrade.... AGAIN!

- Rob Loach
Current Project: Go Through Object-Oriented Programming in C++ by Robert Lafore

"Do or do not. There is no try."
- Yoda

yea, it''s out. But I just ordered my upgrade from VS.NET Pro 2002 to Pro 2003 ($29!!) and it''s friggin'' back ordered until May 27th at least!

You might be able to get the full version though. Of course when I ordered the upgrade there was plenty in stock but the next day they were back ordered for a month! I hate M$ sometimes. But I do like the VS.NET IDE.

------------------------
Don''''t follow me - I''''m lost!

quote:
Original post by progrmr
yea, it''s out. But I just ordered my upgrade from VS.NET Pro 2002 to Pro 2003 ($29!!) and it''s friggin'' back ordered until May 27th at least!

I was promised mine the 25th

...and that is why I believe linux must be destroyed.

quote:
Original post by noVum
The compiler of .NET 2003 produces way better code than VS 6

Is this in the standard (approx$100) version or the professional version. I believe the standard version doesnt have an optomizer built in. It says on the box thats one of the benefits of upgrading to the pro version.

Really? no optimizing compiler on the standard version?

I was planning to get MSVC++ .NET 2003 STANDARD just for that reason...should i get the professional edition instead? or visual studio?

I CAN get acidemic pricing...but i don''t have to...

I got my vc++6 std. for $35us back in ''98 with the rebate deal ms was having but the 2003 edition w/optimizer for $100 sounds like a very nice deal. They''ve also included forms designer that everyone complained about missing in previous version. My hat is off to ms as they seem to be aligned with programmers, they even mentioned boost and loki stuff, very nice of them. I''m impressed.