Visual Studio 6 or .NET

Started by
15 comments, last by TicToc 20 years, 11 months ago
Hi, I am currently using Visual Studio 6. I am considering purchasing Visual Studio .NET but i am not entirely sure if I should. Any suggestions/recommendations would be appreciated? Thanks
Advertisement
Well, VS.NET 2003 Pro is extremely expensive (around ~$1,000 USD). If you''re not interested in all the tools of VS.NET (mostly support for several languages), I would recommend going with one of the Standard stand-alones. Each goes for about $110 USD, and unlike the Standard edition of previous, they are fully featured (except for items exclusive to Studio). But if you have the money, it''s worth it.
If you are a student and don''t intend to make money off of your programs you can pick up VS.net for 150$. I have only seen it for 150$ but a friend of mine got it through his prof for 20$.
"I don''t care what you think unless it is about me"
The answer is totally dependant on you. Do you feel the new features are worth it? Read these:

VC++.NET FAQ
VC++.NET What''s New
New Features in VS.NET

For game development, VC++6 is still going to do you just fine.

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

The compiler of .NET 2003 produces way better code than VS 6
if you do purchase vs.net, i will be more than happy to take the vs6 off your hands. jus drop me an email if you consider it.

------------------------------------------------------------
I really need to update this signature...
If you can't make a decision, the right choice is not to.This link = GameDev.Net Forums
Microsoft is signing many deals with professors/teachers now that allow them to distribute an Academic Edition of VS.NET to some of the students for free. I find nothing wrong with this version.

When is VS.NET 2003 Pro being released? It''ll be such a pain to upgrade.... AGAIN!

- Rob Loach
Current Project: Go Through Object-Oriented Programming in C++ by Robert Lafore

"Do or do not. There is no try."
- Yoda
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
quote:Original post by Rob Loach
When is VS.NET 2003 Pro being released?

It''s out.

...and that is why I believe linux must be destroyed.
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
yea, it''s out. But I just ordered my upgrade from VS.NET Pro 2002 to Pro 2003 ($29!!) and it''s friggin'' back ordered until May 27th at least!

You might be able to get the full version though. Of course when I ordered the upgrade there was plenty in stock but the next day they were back ordered for a month! I hate M$ sometimes. But I do like the VS.NET IDE.

------------------------
Don''''t follow me - I''''m lost!
------------------------Don''t follow me - I''m lost!
quote:Original post by progrmr
yea, it''s out. But I just ordered my upgrade from VS.NET Pro 2002 to Pro 2003 ($29!!) and it''s friggin'' back ordered until May 27th at least!

I was promised mine the 25th

...and that is why I believe linux must be destroyed.
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement