Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DirectEthics

The Long Road Ahead

Firstly, I'm not quite sure what on earth I'm doing. I'm a philosophy major and English minor with intentions on getting into the gaming industry on the design/producer sides of things (hence the not-so-technical degree). I've recently been reading up on what makes a good designer/producer and it seems that knowing even the slightest bit about programming helps in the long run, so I've decided to pick up Dev-C++ and start learning C I'm guessing it will be some time before I can venture into the other forums, but I just wanted to say hi to everyone and I'll be sharing my portfolio of happy little apps when I learn to write some! Cheers!
DirectEthics It was previously a question of finding out whether or not life had to have a meaning to be lived. It now becomes clear, on the contrary, that it will be lived all the better if it has no meaning. - Albert Camus PS: I'll be in the #gamedev chat quite a bit with fun little questions for you all to answer in my quest for infinite knowledge...or is that finite? [edited by - DirectEthics on May 6, 2003 3:03:37 AM]

Revised signature should be working now.

DirectEthics
It was previously a question of finding out whether or not life had to have a meaning to be lived.
It now becomes clear, on the contrary, that it will be lived all the better if it has no meaning.

- Albert Camus

[edited by - DirectEthics on May 6, 2003 3:14:24 AM]

Welcome aboard son.

I''ll say this before anybody else does so in a mor cutting manner.

1. Head to the ''For Beginners'' section and you should find plenty of info to get you started.

2. Search the forums for book recommendations. And then buy one. You''d be surprised how many people want to learn but not read.

3. Watch out. Some people can get rather testy with ambiguous posts or common questions.

So, once again, welcome to our world chief.
And the best of luck with your coding.

Welcome to GameDev!

As m_wherrett said, search the Articles section, and there is a relativley long post in the Begginers Section about What Book a begginer should get, with a lot of opinions. You could probably check that out for some info on most Popular books around.

Other than that.

Welcome and I hope you Enjoy your Stay.

NeFrUgLe

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
regardless of weather Programmer One tells you so[/QUOTE]

Me too wants to be a weather programmer

Hello indeed.

Judging that you are a philosophy major, I bet you''d be a good modeller/artist. You should try that out someday .

- Rob Loach
Current Project: Go Through Object-Oriented Programming in C++ by Robert Lafore

"Do or do not. There is no try."
- Yoda

Hi again everyone! Just wanted to say thanks for all the welcomes and direction! I'll be taking a look at the beginners section this afternoon and head down to Barnes and Noble later this week. Here's a little something I learned last night, let's see if I can remember this without looking:

#include <stdio.h>

main()
{
printf("Hello, world!\n");
return 0;
}

My first program!

quote:
Judging that you are a philosophy major, I bet you'd be a good modeller/artist. You should try that out someday .

You know, I've been meaning to take a look at modelling, I've a very analytical type and I hear it takes a lot of precision and detail to do 3D work...perhaps that shall be my next endeavour!

DirectEthics
It was previously a question of finding out whether or not life had to have a meaning to be lived.
It now becomes clear, on the contrary, that it will be lived all the better if it has no meaning.

- Albert Camus

[edited by - DirectEthics on May 6, 2003 2:47:14 PM]

That''s almost right. Remember, though, that every function you make has to have a return value. Therefore, it should be

int main()

Does it make a difference that I''m using C and not C++? Not sure.

DirectEthics

- Albert Camus