Is DirectX 8 (3D) possible with Voodoo 2? (VC++)

Started by
5 comments, last by henksgu 20 years, 11 months ago
Is DirectX 8 (3D) possible with Voodoo 2? (VC++) Please answer!!!
Advertisement
Neither the Voodoo5 is currently not compatible with DirectX 8. Games will still run with it unless the application is using specific features unsupported by the card.

see forum at
http://pub40.ezboard.com/fopen1785frm9.showMessage?topicID=26.topic
rdg
what sucks is its software rendering so its slow.

Never buy a voodoo, I have one and it sucks. Get the GForce
I''m using a Voodoo3 PCI 16 Mg right now, and I must say that, even though I''m upgrading to a GeForce later this month, I can barely think of a better, more reliable card (esp. for your money) over the past few years.

I just couldn''t get it to run anything over 16 bit color with the DX SDK (though it runs DX apps fine). Still, it''s been one heck of a card. There''s OpenGL mini-drivers for Voodoos that keep my VD3 working right up there with some of today''s standard cards. Heck, it works better than my brothers'' GeForce2.

If you''re going to be doing some serious DX programming, though, it''s worth it to get a new card. The GeForce 4200s are rather nice and (relatively) affordable right now.

- TythosEternal

"Who''s John Galt?"
"Who's John Galt?"
quote:Original post by radgi
Neither the Voodoo5 is currently not compatible with DirectX 8. Games will still run with it unless the application is using specific features unsupported by the card.

How do you define compatible? Does it have to support every feature DX8 exposes? By that measure, very few (if any) cards are.

A more useful definition would be, can you create a D3D8 device on it? And the answer is, sorta.

The original drivers won''t support DX8, but people have hacked some up that do. Since 3DFX went under, all drivers are unsupported, but these ones are unoffical and unsupported.

To be honest I wish those cards would go away. Supporting them can be a serious pain in the butt.

Stay Casual,

Ken
Drunken Hyena
Stay Casual,KenDrunken Hyena
"Never buy a voodoo, I have one and it sucks. Get the GForce"
yes, never buy a voodoo, voodoo cards were a great cards in the past, now you must buy a geforce or a radeon, but you can''t compare a voodoo with a geforce.
The Voodoo3 has a third party driver available to make it support DX8 which works great. I''d imagine the newer Voodoo also have drivers available to support it. However with the Voodoo2 you''re really behind the times.

Time to go spend at least $50 and get at least a Radeon 7500 or a GeForce 2 MX. The Radeon 7500 (I have the PCI version) is about 25% faster than then GeForce 2 MX (I have the AGP version). Postal 2 runs very choppy on my Duron 1200 with the GeForce 2 MX but runs smooth on a PIII 933 with the 7500. However the 7500 was only as cheap as the GeForce 2 because of rebates. Otherwise it''s around $20-$30 more.

If you want to write software that works on ancient hardware you''re going to have to stick to DirectX 7 or earlier or OpenGL. I have a DX7 program which uses D3D rendering for everything that runs okay on an old p133 laptop.

Ben

IcarusIndie.com

KalvinB - (to Jessika) do you accept Jesus as your lord and savior

Jessika - Sure I can accept all forms of payment.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement