Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bennettovia

Ellipse Calculation

Pretty basic question. I''m calculating some points, I''m going to draw lines to each point to ultimately make an ellipse. Now I''m using the standard mathematical ellipse equation for this with a centre point an x radius and y radius. I''m pretty sure though that this method is flawed, and there is an easier method involving triangles. Basically I know there is a way to do this, for example if you take two stakes, put them in the gound, wrap a string around and put a pencil in the string, then pull the pencil until the string is taut, you can draw an ellipse. Since the string is always in a triangluar shape during this, this method must be possible Anyway. I was just wondering what the *best* method for ellipse calculation was in ppls opinions.

i think the eq is the best, i dont think u cant program smth to strech a string as much as it can and put a pixel at that location

if u want to fill it then do this:

lets say r < R (the radiuses), where r is perpendicular to Ox

get the points on the right and left sides of r and draw a line between them, then go to the next ones.

Thanks, filling is no problem.

I wasn''t referring to actually simulating the string thing, I just know its possible with triangles because of that.