Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ReGiuZ

Texture Blending

hey there... im having problems finding out how to do texture transitions on a terrain i created with 3d max... I made a terrain with max with texture transitions and blending. so when when i render it there it looks just fine. then i export it to an X file and load it into my DX engine. when i render it i only get the terrain with one texture applied. now to my question.. what do i have to do to enable texture transition for my engine? i wasnt able to find anything useful on that yet, so thanks for the help!

Well, you shall have to program it ! That`s the best fun in terrain programming. To actually texture it nicely. Just search for terrain texturing here on forums or www.google.com.
Or visit www.vterrain.org. Or apply for appropriate course on www.GameInstitute.com.

There is also a book called Focus on terrain programming - and although I don`t have it , I`d recommend it by the table of contents.

The web is full of information regading terrain programming, just search for it and after few hours of browsing you`re left with hundreds of pages to study and many techniques to learn.
And, frankly, forget the X-File, write your own ASE parser. A simple one for static objects (i.e. just vertex/texture coordinates) can be programmed in less than a weekend, and then you can get any model right from 3dsMax and don`t have to bother with X-file issues.

VladR
Avenger game

ASE parser? Dude its way easier to program an exporter than it is to make a ASE parser.

just my 2 cents
-Vulcan

Anyone with C++ knowledge can write a parser... It takes knowledge specific to 3dmax export writing to make a custom exportor.. Just my opinion. It might be rather simple, I''ve never tried it tho.

quote:
ASE parser? Dude its way easier to program an exporter than it is to make a ASE parser.
Ehm, dude, what are you talking about ? I wrote a simple ASE parser in one afternoon importing static objects with vertex/texture coordinates. And after few months I added importing of normals since I didn`t bother with lighting at that time. So actually it took me about 5 hours - simply one afternoon. I use that parser from that time unchanged - it simply does its job - import static objects` coordinates into my engine.

So you`re telling me that an exporter would be written sooner than that ? I.e. in some 3 hours ? Hm, interesting idea. never heard of that, but just one more issue : This ASE parser actually converts the data into my internal format so it`s easy to work with it - I just pass it a pointer and it gives me everything I need. But an exporter ?

Unless you`re talking with writing ASE parser that completely understands all 3DSMAX syntax. But why on earth would one do that ?

VladR
Avenger game