Jerky movement in DDraw, smooth in D3D

Started by
11 comments, last by FieroAddict 20 years, 11 months ago
I dunno, I''m a little skeptical about the integer precision thing, as I''ve never seen that effect purely due to that before... and it still *should* happen in D3D, even if that is the problem, since I don''t think it does anything more to blend edges to smooth out the motion... especially not on sprites.

Can''t be sure though, as I refuse to get the .NET Framework, which I''d need to test it

Even if that is the problem though, you could partially "solve" it by going to a higher resolution... what are you currently using?
Advertisement
> I dunno, I''m a little skeptical about the integer precision thing, as I''ve never seen that effect purely due to that before.

As I said, Asteroids with non-rotating rocks is just about the worst-case scenario I can imagine for this. In most other cases that I can think of, integer precision would not be nearly as noticeable, it would be hidden in the noise.

> and it still *should* happen in D3D, even if that is the problem, since I don''t think it does anything more to blend edges to smooth out the motion

I can''t parse this fully, but it certainly should not happen in D3D. Move a sprite 1/10th of a pixel and it *will* look different, I promise you -- as long as you''re not using point sampling. In DirectDraw it has to cross the pixel quantum before there''s a change in appearance.

Now if were untextured or if in some other way you could see the edges, that would be a different story. You would need another form of antialiasing like supersampling or multisampling.
Donavon KeithleyNo, Inky Death Vole!
Hmm... ok well I wasn''t aware that D3D actually did dynamic colour interpolation and blending for quads that fall in between pixel boundaries... news to me!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement