Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WILL at RedAnt

How many people here use Delphi?

I''m just wondering, since this is all things Borland really, who here is a Delphi Programmer? I kinda notice that this forum gets a bit quite from time to time. Saves on clutter, but still would be nice to have a bigger community for us Delphi Veterans.

I use Delphi for many years now (4 or 5 years) i started at Delphi 1 and went trough many versions and now I "stopped" at the very good version 6... Definetly I'm not going to Delphi 7, I'm waiting for Delphi 8 the so called Octane...

I use Delphi 6 which is my tool of choice... I also use Blitz 3D to make 3D appz (nice too )

[edited by - FooFighter on May 6, 2003 4:59:23 PM]

I''ve been using Delphi for years now. I first got a free copy of Delphi 1 from a PC magazine disc. I soon bought a copy of Delphi 3 Professional, and later Delphi 5.

I have got both version 3 and 5 installed, but version 5 is my choice for new projects. I only use version 3 to review my older projects, or do some special testing that requires the older stuff. I will purchase more versions of Delphi, when I get the money, hopefully getting the money by selling software that I write using Delphi 5

I have been working on several different kinds of projects using Delphi, everything from the simplest of CD autorun menus, to the complexity of scripting and other low-level work.

I will eventually move on to using C/C++ as well, but my guess right now is that I will still be turning to Delphi, even while using C/C++.

It''s good to see that there''s a seperate part of this forum, just for Borland/Inprise product users.

Thumbs up for Delphi

Hey, I guess it''s only fair that I put my version preference on here too. Delphi 5 Standard(Most active with my DelphiX powered games) and Delphi 7 Enterprise(My new development platform once I am able to transfer all my code to support what I''m doing in DelphiX to the XCESS SDK).

Cyberium: Why C/C++? I''m sure there are alot of reasons, but I''m just curious.

Anyone here use Kylix before? I have not but I have heard a ton of good things about it.

I use Delphi 7 Personal. Previously I have used Delphi 6 Personal, Delphi 4 Standard and Delphi 2 Enterprise, all of which came on magasine cover discs. I have also got Kylix 3 Open Edition, but it kinda sucks in comparison with the newer versions of Delphi really.

As Alimonster didn''t quite say, DGDev is the Delphi Games Development site.

I use Delphi 5 Standard. I would upgrade, but a lack of money is a problem and I like an uncrippled IDE. I''ll probable upgrade when Delphi for .Net comes out.

I''m currently involved in writing a expresssion Watch plugin for Innerfuse Pascal Script 3, but it is currently stalled due to uni work and other personal projects. I''ve also written a few other utilities for IFPS3 too, but my Unit parser which imports a Delphi Unit into the scripting engine is out of data, and I plan to upgrade it when I find the time (ie not soon).

quote:
Original post by WILL at RedAnt
I''ve been to DGDev. It just seems so... quiet. Also, I haven''t seen anything on XCESS there. Perhaps it should be suggested?

DGDev is quiet at times, but not as quiet at other times. Remember that it''s up to YOU (points to reader) to make it an interesting place to be. If you have something to say then just say it, if you have something to ask then ask it, and if you want to crap post then do so. Suggestions are welcome (head over to its "forums" forum, for example). I can say personally that I''ve had quite a few interesting discussions over there in the short time that it''s existed and I think that you should give it a go.

I use Delphi6 Personal. Earlier I used Delphi3 and Delphi5 Professional in school but I can''t afford those for home. But Delphi 6 Personal is nice.

I use Delphi 6 Personal and have not felt the need to use C, C++ or any other C''s for at least a year! The Delphi community does have it''s quiet moments every now and then, but that''s mainly due to Delphi being so enjoyable to use and everyone''s coding instead of talking about it!

Oh and BTW I agree with everything Alimonster said

DGDev - The Delphi Games Development Community

I have been using Delphi since version 2.
and made several apps with 3.0, adn 4.0. Enterprise versions.
I used 5.0 enterprise and 6.0 personal but just for personal (not commercial) apps.

However, all my game programming I do it with VC6.0,
And I like to experiment and dig on the Windows APIs
using VC6++ and Delphi (TAPI, SAPI, DirectShow, Agent...)

/\
/__\ C.Z. Hagen
I want to play with MetallicA!

I''m useing Delphi 7 PE now, from a magazine''s coverdisk for free. It''s all I need, if I want to get more components, I''ll download them.

Anyway, I''ve noticed that Delphi seems to be way more popular in Europe (western Europe anyway), than it is in America. For example, for the people who know a bit of Dutch, the tweakers.net programming forum (which is THE dutch-languaged place to be for technical topics) has quite a lot of questions from Delphi users every day. Here at gamedev.net, I most times see only one or two coming by in a week.

Delphi 7 personal here, delphi 6 enterprise, had all versions of delphi.... also work in bcb and vc++. I''m from Ukraine but reside in Mexico and Delphi is known here...

Guest Anonymous Poster
I''m from Denmark (Europe). Delphi is quite popular here and many of my friends and co-workers uses Delphi.

Delphi is easy and very powerfull. With it you can create everything from a small utilities to large scale systems (I am working on such a system rigth now. We are about 20 people with a buget of 10 mill. $).

This is my first time at GameDev.net. I was surfing for some info on how to make games in Delphi.

Mikael
www.mikaelthomsen.dk

BTW. I use Delphi 6.

Delphi 7 Enterprise at work and
Delphi 6 Professional at home.

I always feel that the forums for delphi
are quite due to the fact its an excellent,
intuitive development tool.

Mark

Due to lack of funds, I''m still using my old copy of Delphi 4, which I find to be adaquate for many things. I started on Turbo Pascal 4, so Delphi 4 is really quite advanced for me !

I use it for various things, but at the moment to code games in OPENGL, which it runs with incredible speed and ease.

Jeff

I use Delphi 6 personal now, I used to use 5 enterprise, until my PC broke, and I lost my CD, which almost noone would believe(and still won''t believe).

Anyway, I think I''ll be learning C/C++ sometime, just because it''s a standard, but that doesn''t mean I will stop using Delphi, from what I''ve heard, Delphi is an underappreciated, but very good language that can compete with the best of languages. And since I really like it, I''ll just stick to it.

And maybe the DGDEV and turbo forums are so empty because Delphi is so good, meaning: there aren''t many problems with it...

quote:
Original post by Shadowcore
And maybe the DGDEV and turbo forums are so empty because Delphi is so good, meaning: there aren''t many problems with it...

LOL I wish that were so. Truth is that Object Pascal is on the samelevel as C/C++. The difference is the following of Game Developers for one is smaller than the other. Actually thats a fair sized difference. Not too many people know about Delphi, but they know of C so off they go. Most of them, not all. But I often wonder, how do Delphi programmers come to find out about Delphi...

I was told on IRC about 4-5 years ago after asking a whole bunch of questions about Borland Pascal 7. Was told it was an amazing compiler. I went and got it and I haven''t been disappointed since. Except maybe by Microsoft, but that the computer world for ya.

Don''t laugh at this, but I found out about Delphi via my mother. She is working in an IT query?? business, and one of the employees resigned and went to work at a software development company. Because I was interested in programming and stuff like that, I asked her to ask him for tips or something and a language to start off with, and he apparently said that I should start in Delphi because it was a great language!!! Damn, I love that story...