Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tristan10

Vectormaths...

Hi, I wanna make a real simple pathfinding routine that works like this. - All objects in the gameworld are circles - The only moving object is 1 AI entity - It''s speed is constant (for simplicities sake) - The moment that units LOS to it''s current goal is blocked by another entity, it should adjust it''s heading based on the distance to the blocking unit, it''s current heading and it''s spead. Now the thing I''m not sure how to do is that last part, I can prob. figure out if another circle is blocking the LOS. But I have no clue what kind of vector calculations I should make to get the new velocity. I have done a bit of searching on the internet, about vectors but if someone could point me in the right direction I would be real greatfull. Thanks, Tristan

Well you may not find anything in the public domain on the Internet that describes how to avoid obstacles in real-time. I would suggest that you look in the "AI Game Programming Wisdom" book from Charles River Media. It may very well describe some techniques...

Graham Rhodes
Senior Scientist
Applied Research Associates, Inc.

Thanks for your reply,

I already own that book...and after some more
searching I think I''ve found something similar to
what I was looking for online...

http://www.red3d.com/cwr/steer/Obstacle.html

I hope anyone else can use this to is or her advantage.
If I got something working, I''ll be sure to post it here.