Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AGRESSION

As a total beginner......

Aight,as the tittle said I''m a total beginner when it comes to programming.I''ve seen so many games online,and I got very interested.I''m not one of those newbies that''s thinking to make a Runescape/Everquest/Helbreath (whatever) in a week(end).And yes I know totally nothing I''ve got no idea wich programming language I should start with or anything.I''d like to know where/how/what I should start with so I can just start learning 1 thing at a time.Any advice (Besides Stop learning programming) is welcome.

I would say first start off with some simple C\C++ programming first, and going through getting the basic concepts of the language before you start to create games. You can get a free IDE(compiler, editor, and debugger) here then you can get some tutorials here and that should get you started. Then I would suggest creating a text-based game at first just to get a feeling for the logic that goes behind it, and then move on to something like DirectX or OpenGL.

I''ve seen the things now and I think that''ll work just great,it''s 11pm now so It''s a pity I can''t do it now but tomorrow there''s another day.Thanks for it.

Haha, I read your post wrong the first time thrgouh. I thoguht you said you wanted to make EQ in a weekend.. Woah that was a good laugh tho

Seriously, depending on how slow you want to take things you could begin programing in BASIC, or something similar. Alot of people on this board might tell you to jump straight into C or C++ even. Thats up to you. It really depends on your age though, if your 10-12, jumping into C is going to bore you to tears most likely. If your in college you might be able to handle it better. These are general assumptions of course, the only way to find out is to try it yourself!

For tutorials on C checkout gametutorials.com, they have a whole series of examples in C/C++. Of course you'll need a compiler first, there are number of free ones, although I've always used Microsoft Visual C++ and loved it, so I can't comment much on those.

Your gonna have a lot of questions starting out, all of which have been asked countless times before. ALOT of them are answered if you go step by step through the forum http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/forum.asp?forum_id=33

It takes you from knowing nothing about programming to a half decent tetris program.

Of course if you need someone to pester you can always IM me on AIM I'm Caecus18

[edited by - Illumini on May 6, 2003 5:15:55 PM]

Thnx I''m happy I find this link people are always such *...* on www.mpogd.com this works alot better so far.Now I''m really stopping for today Cya and thnx

Welcome to GameDev!

Like it was said before, a great Free Compiler is at www.bloodshed.net
and for tutorials,
www.gametutorials.com
is a great way to start.

Good luck with your learning.

NeFrUgLe

If you are absolutely new to programming and want to jump quick to productivity, my advice will be Python (http://www.python.org) - easy to learn and very natural language. Python is free and has excellent SDL binding library called PyGame (http://www.pygame.org) if you want to use it for game programming. I think that it should be sufficient in most cases.