Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

timmay314

Windowed vs Fullscreen

I'm new to DirectX, and I was wondering what the advantages of using a full screen app versus a windowed app are? I'm planning on writing a program to model various physical interactions of objects, and I am trying to figure out which I should use. I assume you can use dialog boxes with windowed, but can you with full screen, or do you need to make your own version of a dialog box somehow? Does windowed hurt your frame rate because you don't have unrestricted access to your video card? Anything you could tell me would be nice. [edited by - timmay314 on May 6, 2003 5:37:29 PM]

Full-screen apps are really good for when you want something to take up the whole screen. Windowed apps are good for when you want the program to run in a window, as apposed to taking up the whole screen.

surprisingly, it seems that Windowed mode is actually faster in many cases.

I know this sounds contrary to expectations, but the classic example is that Flight Simulator 2002 runs better in windowed mode... I''m sure there are articles on the MS web site related to why windowed mode DX renders faster in various cases.

As for dialogs, I am able to make them appear even in full screen, even though it looks goofy..

www.cppnow.com

If you are talking about a final product, I would prefer letting the user be able to switch between the two with full screen mode being the default. During the development phase, running in windowed mode would be your best bet because it is easier to debug with and easier to recover from in case your program crashes. The game that I am developing has the ability to run in both modes.

As far as frame rate goes, I notice my game runs faster in windowed mode except when it is not the focus window (but then you dont care how fast it is)

Faster in windowed? Time for me to get a new video card (mine runs under 100 fps when rendering a cube in a window). Thanks for the advice.

siaspete hit it right on the money. They only reason a FPS counter reads faster in Windoded is because its not VSync''d. For all benchmarking you should disable VSync in fullscreen as well. This should even out the framerates. And IMHO if your app is coded correctly for both modes Fullscreen SHOULD run faster. (It can ignore all windows messages pretty much. Windowed should avoid this because its very annoying for the user to try and multitask if an app is not playing nice with Windows).

Yep the v-sync thing is right. And about which to use, this is really only a "design issue" if you are using DirectDraw (the programming is a bit different... although you can abstract it nicely). In DirectXGraphics, moving between the two is trivial.

And to answer your other questions, windowed mode *shouldn't* hurt your frame rate much, if at all. That said, you'll have to try it.

Secondly, you can do dialog boxes in full screen mode (I remember an example of this in one of the SDKs... 7 maybe?) but it's a bit painful... you have to grab the hDC's yourself and paint, and get input, etc. Generally full-screen applications have their own GUI, using GDI functions for merely text drawing, if at all.

[edited by - AndyTX on May 6, 2003 10:04:55 PM]