Learning AI

Started by
2 comments, last by sSimontis 20 years, 11 months ago
I want to learn AI programming for a project I am doing with some friends this summer. For this, I want to be in charge of the AI programming. I know this site has some awesome links to AI, and articles. However, i am not sure where to start. There are so many links, I am confused. First off, before I learn AI, is there anything I should learn? If it matters, I know C++. Also, what category is best to learn? Thank you in advance. This is purple. This is green. This is black.
Scott SimontisMy political blog
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Village Specialton
First off, before I learn AI, is there anything I should learn?

It helps to know how to use google, to be able to search out specific AI related topics that you need to learn. While this site has great resources (you should eventually read everything on AI that is here) there are a number of great sites on the web for specific issues.

Obviously, without knowing anything about your game, or your project constraints, it will be extremely difficult for anyone but you, to know what to search for.

Good luck,

Eric
If your project is asimple game I suggest looking into behaviour patterns and finite state machines. Those are used most widely in games, although Artificial Neural Networks are coming up (like in the new Jurassic Park game. The dinosaurs are controlled with ANN''s).

Sander Maréchal
[Lone Wolves Game Development][RoboBlast][Articles][GD Emporium][Webdesign][E-mail]

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

There are pretty good tutorials on AI at ai-junkie. If u r looking to build a chess game, then u need to learn about game trees and algorithms like alpha-beta, negascout, etc. There is an entire series of tutorials on building a chess game right here on gamedev. I can try to dig out some more chess links for u if u r interested.

Regards.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement