Fur Rendering

Started by
5 comments, last by cs9tmf 20 years, 11 months ago
Hi all, Has any done anything to do with realtime fur rendering? I was wondering if anyone has any demos, point me to some tutorials etc. Cheers
Advertisement
i think microsoft has done some work with them. real-time rendering has some info on it too
I love me and you love you.
Are they not just faked still? I thought most people used a similar method to making grass, only more detailed, using billboards.
Everything is faked in computer graphics. There aren''t many good non-realtime fur models out there, so it''s not likely you''re gonna do any realtime fur rendering without cutting some corners.
I used a (relatively old) fur rendering technique to make 3D grass. Basically you take a texture with an alpha channel made up of noise and stack 5 or 10 or more layers (or shells) on top of eachother with very limited space in between. Go to the RoboBlast link in my sig to see the game. It runs pretty well on a PIII 600 with TNT2.

Sander Maréchal
[Lone Wolves Game Development][RoboBlast][Articles][GD Emporium][Webdesign][E-mail]

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

Here you can find one of the best fur demos I have seen
with code

http://cgi3.tky.3web.ne.jp/~tkano/
Hughes Hoppe was the microsoft guy with a paper on this. he uses shells and fins method (layers of object aligned billboards). IIRC there was another guy who wrote a demo that implemented this method, and he put it for download (with src) on nehe.gamedev.net (or maybe the link was from there?)

Either way, the paper is called "Real Time Fur Over Arbitrary Surfaces" and is by Jed Lengyel, Emil Praun, Adam Finkelstein and Huges Hoppe. You can get it from Hoppe or Lengyel''s website i think.
[size="1"]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement