DirectX 8.0 sprite rendering wrapper

Started by
10 comments, last by Cipher3D 20 years, 11 months ago
Hi! I just created a multimedia wrapper for directx 8.0. it aids the programmer in drawing 2d sprites in DirectX 8.0, plus encapsulates windows and direct3d initialization (don't forget directinput) in an elegant, object oriented way. At least I think so . Since this wrapper is in its early development stages, I would like some feedback so that I can make it better. Just download the library here: www.geocities.com/gamediaceo/gamedialib.zip And of coruse I don't expect anybody to make a game and then rate it! At most I expect somebody to play around with the library (I'm working on documentation, so at the moment the most helpful thing is my single example ) and perhaps create a small demo that draws sprites with it. I would like criticism and praise! LOL. Thanx a lot. Cipher. If you have any questions, please email me at gamediaceo@yahoo.com Thank you! Sorry for my poor english...i'm only 14 learnining [edited by - Cipher3D on May 6, 2003 8:33:18 PM] [edited by - Cipher3D on May 6, 2003 8:56:31 PM]
I eat heart attacks
Advertisement
I guess maybe I did this wrong...maybe I think I put it in the wrong post. I''ll put this in the DirectX 8.

Or maybe my wrapper just terrible .
I eat heart attacks
how complete is it right now? i might be interested in using it to convert some old GDI games i have to DX, if it''s complete enough to do a 2D card game? or a simple scroller?
Yes - I believe so. What kind of card game are you thinking about?

It is pretty complete - I used it to create several of my previous games. I just have to add sound support later on.

I''m pretty sure it can be used for any 2d game, provided that it is strictly 2d (sprites and etc).

I can lend a hand in helping you develop these games by helping you port your old GDI functions to my new library functions.

You can email me at gamediaceo@yahoo.com

Cipher
I eat heart attacks
Okay, I re-uploaded the wrapper. It now contains some documentation...i believe it would help immeasurably in understanding my class wrappers.

Cipher3D
gamediaceo@yahoo.com
I eat heart attacks
well i just had a look and i don''t think i''ll be able to make use of it after all. i could give you an overview of what i found (and didn''t find) but it''d be kinda harsh, so i think i''ll pass. best of luck anyway.
The example crashes horribly. I still do not know why.

It's LoadTexture() that's screwing around. No time to wonder why now, though. Off to the pub.

[edited by - parklife on May 8, 2003 12:47:41 PM]
There appear to be a few nasty crash bugs in your code... It might be worth revisiting certain parts of it and implementing better error-checking, and suchlike.

Best of luck with it''s development

Regards,
Sharky

---
#define _WEBSITE
Sharky''s Coding Corner
#endif
---
hm....thats interesting. it works on all the computers i''ve tried. :-(. Can you list your specs please?

Ciph

I am Ciph, and that is what I am
I eat heart attacks
quote:Original post by Cipher3D
hm....thats interesting. it works on all the computers i''ve tried. :-(. Can you list your specs please?

Ciph

I am Ciph, and that is what I am

Cipher3D: I tried on the following two PC''s and both crashed

Spec.1:
Intel P3 733MHz w/ 256MB RAM
nVidia GeForce2 MX (32MB AGP) - latest Detonator drivers
Windows XP Professional
DirectX 9.0a runtime

Spec.2:
Intel P4 2.0GHz w/ 1GB RAM
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro (128MB AGP) - latest Catalyst drivers
Windows XP Professional