Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OSN

file type

excuse me, it sounds stupid, but ho w can i change the type of file. I had a problem with the files. Example: "name.php" it names like that in ur screen but the real name is "name.php.htm" i wanted to delete the ".htm" but i don''t know how. I tried it in my properities

In window XP you can take the following steps.

In your folder where the file is,
goto: Tools > Folder Options >> Selct the "View" tab and then Uncheck the box saying "Hide Extensions for known file types"

then goto ok an you can then just rename the file and delete the .htm

I know the dialogs have changed a little in xp so i cant quite remember if its the same as that for other versions but it should be very similar.

open a folder go to tools then folder options view uncheck hide extensions for known file type. click apply then ok. go to your file click rename and delet the .htm part then click on somthing elsa and your done

Guest Anonymous Poster
goto to a command prompt. Then change goto the directory where the file is. Finally, use:

move orginalfilename newfilename

in your case:
move name.php.htm name.php

My first post is the "Windows" way to do it, but if you want you can do it the way anon said OR

ren name.php.htm name.php

on the cmd line

If you are unable to get to the .htm extension then what makes you think its a htm file in the first place? maybe it is just a .php file with no default app to handle that file (thus you see the extension because its not marked as a "known" type)
If you had unchecked the hide known extensions box then the extension WOULD show up.

If you are sure its got the .htm extension then do this instead:

Open the file with notepad (right-click >> open with) and then when the file is open, save it using "save as". for the name name it as "name.php" (WITH the quotes)