Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Strife

Gentoo

Well, I''ve finally done it. I''ve switched over to Gentoo. I have to say, I love it already (even though I''m still in the process of building GNOME and KDE...). I mean, it combines the wonders of Debian''s apt-get with the speed of building from source. Anyway, I think I''ve finally found a distro I actually like better than Slackware.

The speed you get after you build it

I''m well aware of the fact that the actual buliding takes forever.

My foray into Gentoo didn''t produce any speed increases worth the extra install time.

I''ve ranked Gentoo in the "Hype category" for the most part.

Interim

I''ll admit that the speed increase isn''t really all THAT wonderful. However, if you''ve got time on your hands (time that you should be using to, say, study for finals ) then why the hell not?

As for Debian vs. Gentoo... Either one. I like some things about Debian, but there are some things about it that I really don''t like. So far I haven''t found a think about Gentoo that I absolutely hate.

I actually use gentoo as my primary distro, because, I like the fact that I get to choose what goes into my distro(switched from redhat), and also what compile flags, and such. Debian probably would be just as good, with perhaps a 5-10% performance hit for not being fully optimized, but the best thing, IMHO, in gentoo is the documentation, it explains everything you have to do in order to get a working linux distro up. And that is really cool.

quote:
Original post by bastard2k5
Debian probably would be just as good, with perhaps a 5-10% performance hit for not being fully optimized

Just a correction, since he forgot the decimal point...

.5 to 1.0% performance hit.

Yeah, that small. Heck, compiling for your arch might make the code SLOWER.

gcc isn''t all that great about things like that. They tend to come up with brilliant and stupid things at the same time.

Yeah, agreed.

On a side note, however, I just discovered yesterday that you can actually use emerge to get binary packages (mostly for the bigger things). So, you don''t even need to sit around forever to wait for X or KDE or GNOME or something to compile.

Thats odd.. Gentoo works between 10-35% faster.. but that of course is because I have a P4 2.0 GHZ and am using ICC

J

ICC? Is that Intel''s C Compiler?

In that case, that would make sense why it would run that much faster, since P4s can blow anything else out of the water provided that code is opitimized for it.

Wow... I just can''t get away from hearing about Gentoo no matter where I go

About the speed comments... There are advantages to Gentoo besides any speed increases. Through things such as USE flags you can have a lot of control over your system (and what is installed) while also having extremely easy "emerge " installs with dependecy checking...

The one reason I use it is the ease of keeping things updated and current versions of everything I want to keep current.

Agreed. Honestly, emerge is why I like Gentoo, not the fact that emerge (generally) builds everything from source.

Well, it could be because I''ve switched from a bloated distribution like Mandrake to Gentoo, but I most certainly noticed a major speed -increase in most apps. For example : the Evolution mail client now takes about 4 seconds to start. Under mandrake that was most times 10 seconds or more...

I''m going to give gentoo another whack once 1.4 final comes out. Hmm, maybe I should now, since the computer I''m on now used to have Gentoo 1.2 working with it (and then I experimented with Red Hat 8 and Mandrake 9 and 9.1). My other computer though just didn''t like any of the Gentoo''s after 1.2rc2. It''s weird, on that system, mandrake would list the NIC card as a Natsemi when I did a modprobe and would use that driver just fine. However, after gentoo 1.2, the natsemi driver wouldn''t work, even if I did an insmod with it to load it manually.

I suppose I could just buy a supported NIC card, but that feels like cheating. But I agree that Gentoo did feel faster than Mandrake or Red Hat in some apps and noticeably so...while in others, I couldn''t tell the difference.

Now that I''m starting to learn Python, I think I''m going to take a crack at peeking underneath the hood of the emerge system, and see if I can figure out how it works. When you build from source tarballs, sometimes you can look at the makefile (not that I''m great with makefiles since I''m only so-so with bash scripting) to see what might be going wrong if the program didn''t install....but currently, I''d have no idea what do if it didn''t work with emerge. My one run-in with Debian was a disappointment, but I''m willing to give it another try once I get a new CPU to play with ( since I cracked the core on my third system awhile back)