Why C? What's wrong with C++?

Started by
39 comments, last by Rob Loach 20 years, 11 months ago
I''m in a first year computer programming course at college and we are required to take a course named "Programming in C"... But why? Why not C++? I don''t see why C even still exists with C++ out...... OOP kicks ass. Why not teach us C++ OOP instead? I''m sure they "want us to learn the basics first" but why not learn the basics of C++? I know this will post will probably be flamed to hell, but oh well... I want some answers.... I''ll go in and ask the prof tomorrow too. - Rob Loach Current Project: Go Through Object-Oriented Programming in C++ by Robert Lafore "Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
Advertisement
Didn''t we already have this thread yesterday?
yeah, before posting anything here, read the entire thread here. And then post there, not here.

How appropriate. You fight like a cow.
bis bis bis bis
NOT MORE C vs C++ THREADS PLEASE!! I HATE IT

I hate that they despise C and praise a language that is practically the same thing, if you like C++, program in C++ but not despising a language with which even we continue programming many people, and with which the same things can be done.
Regardless of what type of programming you prefer and which language is ''better'' than others, you shouldn''t limit yourself to a single paradigm of programming. It''s a bad idea to just learn OOP and forget about procedural, functional, relational, and scripting languages. Learn as many ways to look at a problem as possible. You''ll be more versatile and better able to adapt to changes in the industry. By the year 2020, there will probably be something other than object oriented programming that is the most widely used technique. If you put all your eggs in the OO basket, you might be screwed. OOP is not the know all solve all approach to computer science and you''re selling yourself short if it''s all you learn.
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
I hate that they despise C and praise a language that is practically the same thing, if you like C++, program in C++ but not despising a language with which even we continue programming many people, and with which the same things can be done.

I don''t "despise" C, I''m just wondering why my course is teaching it when we are moving up to C++ later on in the program.

kdogg - Thanks for the positive insight.

- Rob Loach
Current Project: Go Through Object-Oriented Programming in C++ by Robert Lafore

"Do or do not. There is no try."
- Yoda
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
But c++ is a better PROCEDURAL programming language than C is.
ROB
>I''m in a first year computer programming course at college and >we are required to take a course named "Programming in C"...

ya and? where is your problem? i''m at a university and we have to learn c, java, prolog, haskell and a thing thats called sather k.
i only can say, dont think about that and take it as it is

>But why? Why not C++? I don''t see why C even still exists with >C++ out......

have you ever taken a look at the print out of the c++ standard its very very thick *g* and i thinking there is no compiler that implements this standard completely...so to learn c is very much easier, and if you can do c you would be able to learn c++ very fast, or other languages with a similar syntax

and from c to oop programming it isnt a big step
http://ootips.org/oop-in-c.html for example...try google this would give you some more sites

>I''m sure they "want us to learn the basics first" but why not >learn the basics of C++?

so why not learn the basics of c?

>I''ll go in and ask the prof tomorrow too.

ya ask him, he probably would say that u can be happy that you dont have to learn turbo pascal

bye

apo

You have the chance to be taught C. If you wanted to take a private course look up how much that would cost. Then see if you begrudge it.

Enjoy learning. Kids have always asked ''why do we need to learn this?'' I guess a good answer is ''because then you''ll know you know it''.

Knowing what C is all about is an important thing in the context of modern programming languages.

Who taught you that ''OOP kicks ass''? Did they tell you that was the whole point? Maybe you should change colleges after all.
First of, C++ is much more than just "C with classes", and as it has been mentioned above, its a huge language with many compilers deviating from the standard in interesting ways.

C is a good choice for an (intro) programming course, its simple but still forces you to understand whats actually going on in the computer, which can be good to know when you start using higher level languages like C++, Java or C#. And when you start programming C++, its good to know that you can always fall back on a bit of C code( or i suspect so, i was taught Java,C++,SML in that order so i dont use C code in C++ ).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement