Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OpenGl drawing question

This topic is 5336 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Im starting to learn OpenGl finally and I dont understand why glVertex3f(1.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f); glVertex3f(-1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f); glVertex3f(0.0f, -1.0f, 0.0f); glVertex3f(1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f); that doesnt make a square...It makes some screwy shape, also when i tried to make a triangle in OpenGl it looked screwy as well??? Any help on how x, y, z axis work in this would be helpfull, because on paper that works Thanks Homepage Luck is a Horse to ride like any other...Luckily im not a gambler, I dont know how to ride. For any total noob out there Here is a like to my tutorials, thry them out

Err? try plotting those points on a piece of graph paper, and then decide whether those numbers are really correct.

How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Not too familiar with openGL, but here''s the shape you described... definitely not a square...

|
| 1 (1,1,0)
|
(-1,0,0)| (1,0,0)
----2---+---4---
|
|
3 (0,-1,0)
|

Guest Anonymous Poster
okay, my spaces obviously got deleted in my posting, but the point is that your coordinates don''t make a square... try

(1,1,0)
(1,-1,0)
(-1,-1,0)
(-1,1,0)

:D yeah sorry, I guess i just proved what i said about just starting openGl, sorry for wasting your time

p.s Is there a free program i can use to draw these ahead of time, by just typing in the coordinace, so i can know weather im being an idiot or not? and if so where can i get it?

[edited by - betrayer_of_code on May 6, 2003 9:43:17 PM]

I assume you could enter in coordinates in pretty much any vector drawing program... smartdraw has a free trial....

What I''d do, tho, is just grab a piece of graph paper and plot the points. print one out from http://www.mathematicshelpcentral.com/graph_paper.htm

How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

Povray is a really good ray tracing program, but it can also be used to “test out” 3d coordinates.

[edited by - KiwiMelon on May 6, 2003 11:58:34 PM]

[edited by - KiwiMelon on May 6, 2003 11:59:56 PM]