Are textures are store in video card's ram?

Started by
13 comments, last by Daivuk 20 years, 11 months ago
Ok, I''m working on a game like starcraft. And we want it to be in 2d. BUT, for all my units, I will have 520Mo Textures to load for all units. (56 units) So first, the question is : Are those textures will be put in the ram of the video card? (So no body have a card of 520DDR ) Second : How starcraft have put ALL theirs sprite in the ram !?! They have a lot on animation. And 16bits texture. (me I want 24bits...) So, if there is no way to make it, we will make in in 3d. BUT, we really want it to be in 2d, like sc, but using OpenGL for cool effects.
Advertisement
quote:
BUT, for all my units, I will have 520Mo Textures to load for all units. (56 units)

?!!

You should seriously reconsider the design of your graphics system...
Thats not an answer to the question.

I dont have a graphic system for this game,
because I want to know first how i will make it.
heu yes I have one, but its in 3d. And we dont find it look kewl units in 3d.
So we have to re make it.
If you use texture objects, then as many textures as possible will be cached in video local memory, using an LRU algorithm.

How appropriate. You fight like a cow.
Right. And if you try to load 520MB worth of textures, then, well, evil things will happen on a standard consumer level PC.

Point is, that if you need to load that many textures for a tile based 2D game, then there is something fundamentally wrong with your approach. There is no way this is going to work on a standard PC, especially if all units are visible at the same time (or in the same level). You should investigate into compression algorithms.

[edited by - Yann L on May 6, 2003 10:15:41 PM]
The textures that can fit in the video card will fit, and the rest will go into system memory...

I agree with Yann though.. i think the reason he didn''t answer was becuase there is no way you should have 520mb of textures. Either use low depth sprites, low resolution sprites, or fewer sprites / frames of animation. If you really need all that detail, 3D would definitely be the way to go... that''s my 1.5 cents
Disclaimer: "I am in no way qualified to present advice on any topic concerning anything and can not be held responsible for any damages that my advice may incurr (due to neither my negligence nor yours)"
and no one have idea how starcraft made it?
Because me I have 3 layer for a unit.
For all sprites. For all animations.
layer:
#1 is the shadow. Blending mode
#2 is the unit, 32bits, alpha value for transparence
#3 is the color to be put on the unit. Its color spot, blending in white and just change the color.

So the layer things work perfectly, but it take :
24 + 32 + 24 bits pictures per frame for each unit....

And what is LRU algorithm. ????
quote:
So the layer things work perfectly, but it take :
24 + 32 + 24 bits pictures per frame for each unit....

Ouch... Well, set aside that you generally don''t need 24 bit for a shadow, you should only have a single layer per unit/animation frame: the 32bit one (your number 2). I would also suggest compressing it, perhaps using 8bit indexed with local palette.

Anyway, the shadow and selection colour is created on the fly, by manipulating the original 32bit unit image. OpenGL can do that for you, by using different blending and texture combiner setups.

quote:
And what is LRU algorithm.

LRU = least recently used. Check out Google, it''s a commonly used caching algorithm.
hum. I will make it in 3d.
Stay the engine I have.
Because if i make it in 2d, I will not get better than sc..
So we are in 2003, so 3d is more apropriate

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement