Animated Desktops

Started by
9 comments, last by Mulligan 20 years, 11 months ago
A while ago i got a thing called Drempels desktop, which displayed a groovy animation on the as the background of my desktop. I want to find out how to write a program that can do the same, but have no idea where to start, anyone know?
Advertisement
Basically when you want to do something like this, you will have to find out how to alpha blend images to your desktop, so that you don''t have to have rectangular images, but can draw whatever you want including transparency.

Once you have mastered this, you only need to code something that is capable of holding the frames of your animation and play ''em back.

Regarding the first issue, I can send you some sample code we used for a splash screen in our current project later this day.

TroneX

LightBrain website relaunched, BomberFUN only USD 9.99
visit http://www.lightbrain.de
drempels works by setting the desktop to a special color (15,0,15) IIRC, and then blit a destination color key overlay over the entire screen. look in directdraw documentation
Angelcode has two relevant source code examples here.
I''ve seen a DirectDraw app that turned the desktop to white noise, so you could probably get Direct3D working on the desktop. Now that would be fun.

If you''er really stuck, and I know this isn''t ideal, you can set the desktop to a webpage and have an animated gif. Of course that''s really slow and probably isn''t what you want.
Correct me if i''m wrong, but one can probably get a device context from the desktop HWND. Afte that, just draw to the DC what you want!

-N
What about those "desktop games" which have things like little characters walking on the tops of your window applications?

- Rob Loach
Current Project: Go Through Object-Oriented Programming in C++ by Robert Lafore

"Do or do not. There is no try."
- Yoda
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Correct me if i''m wrong, but one can probably get a device context from the desktop HWND. Afte that, just draw to the DC what you want!

-N

hehe, that reminded me of a problem with the source in Windows Game Programming for Dummies where instead of writing to just the window, it put it randomly and messed up the preview pane, desktop, etc. it got really ugly

-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
Humm, i tried just getting a device context for the desktop, i did:
m_hDC = GetDC( HWND_DESKTOP );

to no avail, is that what you mean?
ZMatrix is open source so you can look at it...
zmatrix.sourceforge.net I believe the link is

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement