Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CSG: avoidng TJunction Splitting

This topic is 5340 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hello i have decided to create my maps with gtk radiant the problem is when performing CSG which is actually used for BSP tree generation it creates a lot of unneeded polygons so i thought about 2 ways how to reduce the polycount created by CSG the first is lets say we have 2 terrain quads which splitt a wall into 2 faces so id have to check the terrain brushes and find out with faces of these brushes ly on the plane of the wall once this is done i have to check if these 2 polygons of the terrain brush could be merged to a convex polygon if so i can clip the wall face into 2 otherwise i have to clip the wall polygon against the surface polys of the terrain another way would be running a polygon merge process after CSG that merges all polygons of the same texture that can be merged to a convex polygon i need to mention that my engines is going to use quad tree culling since it is an outdoor engine what do you think? are there other ways to removed hidden surfaces of brush based maps?