Virtual disk drives in Windows

Started by
7 comments, last by tr0n 20 years, 11 months ago
I''m not sure if ''virtual drives'' is the right term, but I''ve seen programs that create a new ''drive'' letter, that actually refers to a folder on C:\. For example, the drive letter X:\ actually refers to C:\some_folder\. Does anyone know how to do this? I wondered about mapping a network drive to a path on C:, but it doesn''t seem to like doing that. Any other ideas?
Advertisement
Look up the SUBST command in MS-DOS

quote:
Associates a path with a drive letter.

SUBST [drive1: [drive2:]path]
SUBST drive1: /D

drive1: Specifies a virtual drive to which you want to assign a path.
[drive2:]path Specifies a physical drive and path you want to assign to
a virtual drive.
/D Deletes a substituted (virtual) drive.

Type SUBST with no parameters to display a list of current virtual drives.

--
Simon O''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

Thanks, that''s exactly what I was looking for!
To bad for those not using Win 2003 Ent Server. Its embedded into the OS. Not DOS. Actaully since 2000, dos has been 32 bit if you use cmd.exe not the command.exe. There is also something called shadow volumes. that creates a protected area on the disk replicating files from a directory you specify to it. Allowing you a sort of CSV but with any document.

The security at first install sucks. You can not create a ActiveX control from a web page. Apparently the Annie GIF''s are done with an activeX control inside IE. Because this alert dialog says "Can not create ActiveX control this page may not be viewed correctly" But it does show the first frame inside of it.

Anyone else using it just yet?
--What are you nutz?I have nothing to say to your unevolved little brain. The more I say gives you more weapons to ask stupid questions.
afterburner, you talking about subst? It have existed for a very, very long time...
First of its not "er" on my nic.

Second no. There are features included into the OS that allow you to do that without a DOS command.
--What are you nutz?I have nothing to say to your unevolved little brain. The more I say gives you more weapons to ask stupid questions.
ok, afterburn (sorry), i just don''t follow you, but it doesn''t really matter.
*** CURIOSITY ***

Try

TRUENAME X:

if X: has been SUBST
C:\>subst
Z: => C:\MY DOCUMENTS

C:\>truename z:
C:\MYDOCU~1

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement