Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

whisper_in

Simple GUI in C/C++...help

You know those fancy text and buttons that appear when you start a game right from the old days of dos?, I'd like to do something like that...an interface, not the "win" type, but a basic Interface with a box in the center, some fancy graphic text, maybe an animated title and backround... At least an interface that looks like the one when you setup your sound card in an old game, or at most the one's in Ultima 3 to 6. But I give UP! I tried to find some simple step-by-step tutorial about creating my interface in C/C++, but it seems that everyone knows something I dont. Can you please help me? --"let our actions speek for us!" [edited by - whisper_in on May 7, 2003 11:17:24 AM]

I read those articles, but they're in DirectX. And I even read some articles that deal with OpenGL.

But isn't there any other way, other than using some API? I mean, DirectX doesn't exist in DOS games, does it?

--"let our actions speek for us!"

[edited by - whisper_in on May 7, 2003 12:51:03 PM]

u need to be realistic. i don believe its possible to do a GUI that can run both on DOS and Win32/what-not. The way rendering is performed on different systems vary tremendously. A mode13h rendering in DOS is practically unavailable in Windows coz u cant directly hook to hardware anymore in Windows, at least not without the use of DirectX. Besides, by using a certain API, u are guaranteed hardware support IF the driver supports it.

On the actual issue of API dependency, u can go all the way and write a multi-API GUI library but that is daunting. A lbrary that support directX and OpenGL only is quite a nice option coz both are rather similar and only rendering code is actually isolated based on api. think it out... make a choice and go for it. but don''t scrutunize the APIs. sometimes its ur best bet

Umm, the only interface that spans all platforms, that I know of, is GLUI. It is compatable with MESA, which is available on all platforms...

However, if you are programming in ONE platform, there is an API for that one platform(except DOS and *nix w/o X) that will allow you to do native GUI stuff.

--added stuff--
There are many ways to create a GUI, but the only time you'd want to actually spend the time to create one is to avoid an existing one. A person wouldn't want to make a GUI with GDI, because windows already has a set of existing widgets created for GDI. They would rather extend existing ones.

A Programmer may want to make one for OpenGL or DirectX, since neither have standard Widgets, and by creating them, s/he can avoid the slower standard ones.

DOS doesn't have a standard set of widgets, so you're stuck with what you have, in the mode(X, 13, etc) of your application. However, I would recommend avoiding DOS at all costs.

(added stuff, corrected Spellings)

[edited by - dede on May 7, 2003 5:57:17 PM]