Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

template

DirectX 8

I''ve decided to learn DirectX and I know that 9 is the latest version, however almost all the books i''ve seen to learn it are aimed at DirectX 8. Can anyone recommend a book which teaches DirectX 9 at a beginner level but assumes the reader already knows C++. Also, if I don''t buy a DirectX 9 book and got a DirectX 8 one instead would it be quite hard to learn DirectX 9 from web tutorials etc. once I learned DirectX 8? Thanks in advance...

From a beginner''s perspective, DX 8 and 9 are very similar. The only changes at that level going from 8 to 9 are version numbers and a couple of interfaces have changed parameters. When you get more advanced, you''ll find that vertex and pixel shaders were vastly improved.

OK, thanks alot, I was going to buy your book Programming RPG Games with DirectX but it appears amazon doesn''t sell it anymore so i''m going to buy a Wolfgang Engel book probably.

I just checked - the book is still for sale on Amazon. Premier just did another print of it, so there''s plenty to go around. Amazon says it ships in 24 hours.

Which Amazon site are you using? I''ve checked both the .com and .co.uk one and both say:

Availability: we are currently unable to offer this title. It may be out of stock with the publisher or out of print. If you would like to purchase this title, we recommend that you occasionally check this page to see if it has become available.