Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DevLiquidKnight

3ds Files & Open GL

I have been looking around the net, it seems hard to find some good information on how exactly to use models with OpenGL. I am specifically pondering on how to import a 3d studio max mesh that is done in 3ds max with a .3ds file extension. It seems like most information I have found only can seem to tell me how to load formats such as MD2, and MD5. I would like to understand how exactly to do the following with the file when its imported. I''d like to know how exactly to animate the mesh (ie. is this done using 3ds max and just importing different files for different animations thus having tons of files). Also when you import them into the 3ds max environment if they have materials and other attributes given to them do those stay with them when imported or do you have to manually skin them via code. If anyone can help me and give me information on how this is done or more specifically what techniques are used, how the meshes are animated, or how the meshes are skinned when imported it would be greatly appreciated. I have already gone to gametutorials.com and found a .3ds max importing example but I would very much like to understand the whole concepts behind it in the game developing world. I''d prefer if you give me info or links. Don''t click me! Killer Eagle Software