Arguments for using C# over VB6

Started by
22 comments, last by daerid 20 years, 11 months ago
quote:Original post by Ishan
Personally, I really would take a company that works in C++ much more seriously than one that only does VB.

I''m the only programmer here, and my favorite language is definitely C++.

However, I really, really, really, really would HATE to do this project in C++. It would take me years.

C# is definitely the sensible way to go.
daerid@gmail.com
Advertisement
quote:
Personally, I really would take a company that works in C++ much more seriously than one that only does VB. Also, you could do some performance tests. Rewrite a key portion of your app in C# and test it''s performance against VB. I''ll bet my ass it''ll be faster.

Umm no, have you actually used VB.NET? The differences between VB6 and VB.NET are about as far as C# to C. There is absolutely no major performance differences between C# and VB.NET and they are completely interchangeable within a given solution. Welcome to .NET!

The only thing C# supports over VB.NET that I have found to be usefull is Unsafe code blocks, which doesnt apply here.

The OP doesnt like VB fair enough, but dont start this whole C# is better than VB (.NET) crap.

the use of .Net will help with maintenence issues in the future, as .Net will be is Microsoft''s primary technology push over the next 2-3 years.

That is a damm good reason. Microsoft has risked the whole company on this .NET thing, it will prevail ...

Another good one is that when middleware companies release .NET tools, you will be able to buy one version of the software and use it accross many products (without any stupid com issues). Look at Crystal reports. You can use it C# for one project, VB.NET in the next ...
Tell them "dude, I am the only programmer here! I would definitely use C#!" but of course, in a more polite way.
If they don''t agree, they are not trusting you.
If they don''t agree, ask them:
"Tell me the reasons why you want to use VB6 over C#?"
And they will give you a bunch of reasons, and I hope you can counter every single one of them.

And I still see "C++" and "Java" popping around...
I wonder what comes next, "use ASM"? "C"?
.NET Winforms is quite possibly the smoothest GUI toolkit I''ve ever used. (though it''s a shame that it doesn''t have something like Swing''s layout managers)

Bear in mind, though, that I find VB''s forms interface to be more awkward, and unintuitive than win32.

I''m hip because I say "M$" instead of "MS".
"There is only one everything"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement