Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brownmonster

Football (Soccer) Physics

Hi, i was just wondering if anyone knows anywhere i could obtain some physics about motion of a ball in a fottball game (english football) Cheers

Well, a ball is going to follow all the standard laws of physics (look into the kinematic equations). To make a sim more realistic, you''re also going to want to add in the effects of rotation, so do a search for rotational motion.

Unless you want to add in a ton of air drag effects, a soccer ball isn''t very hard to simulate, at least when you approximate things a bit here and there.

Cheers Dude just realised how bad that question was - have been working quite hard all day though!

Have done some stuff like this before in alevel physics!

Guest Anonymous Poster
You could simulate the Magnus effect to produce swerves etc...

A-Level physics will help tremendously in programming in physics, especially if you do maths. You really need up to M3, for a football game, as that''s when collisions are done properly.

Funny you should say that, im doing computer graphics and maths for me final year degree! - Its just theres no point "re- inventing the wheel" in order to do game physics, its alot easier if it has already been done. If you see what i mean.

Thanks anyway

look at www.brownmonster.co.uk for my latest game which was done for me dissertation for me final year of the degree.