Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vyse

PS2 programming

Guest Anonymous Poster
N64 - No OpenGL
PS1 - No OpenGL
PS2 - No OpenGL
GameCube - No OpenGL

The N64 graphics API _looked_ very much like OpenGL and it had a lot of similar functionality but it was not OpenGL.

You _could_ implement an OpenGL API on the GameCube or the PS2 if so inclined, but you''d be hard-pressed to stick to all the specs if you''re concerned about frame-rates.

GameCube looks so much like OpenGL, I would bet, IMHO, that if Nintendo changed the function names, and added about 10 more calls, then they may have been able to get certification, although I doubt Nintendo would pay the ARB for the privlage...

PS2 has their own graphical API, wholy seperate from other APIs.

Well since DirectX and OpenGL are American... I don''t really know the term for what they *are* the Japanese consoles (PS2, and GC) won''t use them. Xbox uses DirectX, and I heard the new one will also support OpenGL, but that could probably just be a rumor since console journalists tend to say whatever they fell will make people listen.

Guest Anonymous Poster
PS2 have dvector units gpus.You have to program it in assembly code, or have an engine with everything already done.

If I have Maked a game in Opengl can I convert it into PS2 or something like that or do I have to write a new code for the PS2 API system from the begining?

OpenGL is coming to PS2....

To the vast majority of mankind, nothing is more agreeable than to escape the need for mental exertion... To most people, nothing is more troublesome than the effort of thinking.

quote:
Original post by Necro-File
Well since DirectX and OpenGL are American... I don''t really know the term for what they *are* the Japanese consoles (PS2, and GC) won''t use them. Xbox uses DirectX, and I heard the new one will also support OpenGL, but that could probably just be a rumor since console journalists tend to say whatever they fell will make people listen.

Assuming I understood what you meant, I know for a fact that Japanese companies use DirectX, why else would Microsoft had made a Japanese DirectX help file if they didn''t?

quote:
Original post by jenova
OpenGL is coming to PS2....

To the vast majority of mankind, nothing is more agreeable than to escape the need for mental exertion... To most people, nothing is more troublesome than the effort of thinking.

Is this of interest ?
http://www.dataplus.co.jp/OpenGL4ps2.html

anything made w/ the P2L kit, needs P2L to run. so, no, no commercial games are made w/ the P2L kit.

*** note: OpenGL is here for PS2.

OpenGL for PS2

I was pretty sure that the ''cube used OpenGL with lots of extensions, I swear I saw something offical about it, but since I could find nothing definite on google or on opengl.org (who would probably mention a major console choosing opengl) then I guess I probably dreamed it or something... I''m really sad.