Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vyse

OpenGL Opengl on videogames

IIRC, a middleware package exists that''ll do OGL on the GC. But chances are you''ll be working with the native API on both consoles.

How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

Yeah, there''s the manuals you get when you become a registered developer.

How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

Is there no other way to get ahold of programming info than to become a registered developer?

If not, than how is anyone supposed to prepare for a console programming position?

You prepare for a console programming position by becoming an expert on graphics in general. Once you master D3d, openGL is a breeze and vice versa. Once you master both, whatever API the PS2 uses will be pretty easy too.

quote:

You prepare for a console programming position by becoming an expert on graphics in general. Once you master D3d, openGL is a breeze and vice versa. Once you master both, whatever API the PS2 uses will be pretty easy too.

Learning OpenGL and/or D3D doesn''t really prepare you for programming on the PS2 since it is very, very different. Although you are correct, becoming an expert on graphics (and math) in general is necessary. The best way to learn console programming is to work at a company that is a registered console developer - you have access to the hardware, the manuals and people who have already done it. A close second, for the PS2 anyway, is the PS2Linux kit which comes with the PS2 manuals on DVD.
I believe there is a version of OpenGL for the PS2, at least there was. But to really get speed out of it you have to get down to the metal.

Guest Anonymous Poster
what about linus for ps2? would it support opengl through the os?

I should clarify. When i say master openGL, i don''t mean you just know how to use the functions. I mean you really understand what the functions do under the hood. I''ve never done any PS2 programming so i''m no expert or anything. However, if you had a strong understanding of graphics algorithms, i''d imagine that learning how to write code for a PS2 would just be a matter of learning the syntax. Learning syntax can be annoying, but not terribly difficult.

Guest Anonymous Poster
The GC graphics chip has little to do with ATI. It was created by a seperate company, that ATI bought a year or two after they finished the chip.

As for how you prepare for a console graphics position, either hack your way up from a more general position, or you find a company that can put up with one being a bit less useful for a month or 6.

quote:

However, if you had a strong understanding of graphics algorithms, i''d imagine that learning how to write code for a PS2 would just be a matter of learning the syntax. Learning syntax can be annoying, but not terribly difficult.

You''d be surprised...Programming on the PS2 (without using middleware) is equivalent to writing OpenGL or D3D *drivers* - only on a machine that''s all parallel processing.
If you buy Gamebryo or RenderWare or even an OpenGL implementation it makes life much easier, but you still need to know the low level stuff to squeeze out the last few frames per second.

you don''t need to be a profession developer to get Sony PS2 docs.

by doing a simple google search.

"vu user manual+playstation 2". i retrieved a link to the PlayStation 2 vu user manual.

vu user.

there do exist professional OpenGL drivers for PS2. there is ps2gl for use with the PS2 linux kit.

also check out PS2DEV.org

To the vast majority of mankind, nothing is more agreeable than to escape the need for mental exertion... To most people, nothing is more troublesome than the effort of thinking.

PS2 has 2 solutions for OPENGL but no developer i know of uses them

one is ps2gl from a guy at scea , the other is
from dstorm in japan ( if i remember correctly )
btw , comparing Opengl programming to Low level PS2 programming is silly nonsense , the ps2 in my opinion is the hardest to get good performance out of

the Gamecube is very GL like though not close enough to take your quake3 bsp renderer and hit recompile

Xbox is DX8.5

Deadsoul.

If I have Maked a game in Opengl can I convert it into PS2 or something like that or do I have to write a new code for the PS2 API system from the begining?