Should i upgrade from MSVC++ 6 to MSVC++ .Net 2003

Started by
17 comments, last by MattS423 20 years, 11 months ago
Thanks Rob, I''m just a Senior in Highschool so I don''t have anyone to ask about this stuff other than online heh.

Matt would you care to give me a link to the $100 Academic version of 2k3 on MS site? I haven''t been able to find it
Advertisement
quote:Many schools have deals set up with Microsoft which lets teachers give out academic editions of the software package for free. This is how I got my copy.

Wow! Really? I hope this is true I''ll be going to college this fall; hopefully I can get my hands on a copy
Peon
i''m going for the HTML...

MSVC++ .NET 2003 for $100

...that''s not the acidemic price, and it''s $109...
Programmers of the world, UNTIE!
quote:Original post by Rob Loach
And yes, .NET is worth the upgrade. The only real pain in the ass is upgrading all your VBX projects to VB.NET.
Agreed! For other than simple little programs, the wizard they included is virtually worthless since the language is so totally different! It''s especially bad if your projects are using third party controls. Luckily everything I''m working on is from scratch.

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

Ah I was trying to get a hold of the whole 2k3 .NEt package, the Standard C++ Only editions don''t offer the proffesional level code optimizer that the full .NET Pro/Enterprise or Academic version do.
it does...it just doesn''t support other languages...
Programmers of the world, UNTIE!
Wow, I was under impression standard C++ didn''t have same quality debugger (maybe this was under 2002? and they added it with 2003?)

Either way now I face a new dilema. I could go out and buy C++ 2003, which is what I really use. But I wouldn''t mind having VB.net nad C# to mess with hehe. So I still have to decide whether to wait it out on an Academic version.

On MS Product support page they have VS.net 2003 Academic listed. I guess I should call up one of the places around here that is supposed to sell Academic editions and sede if they have it yet
hey,

Is .net easier than C++ 6.0? or close to the same? what are the differences?
--m_nPostCount++
I''d suggest the standard edition for new-comers to any Visual products unless (you have a fairly good VS book to refer to) || (you have used VS6).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement