Should i upgrade from MSVC++ 6 to MSVC++ .Net 2003

Started by
17 comments, last by MattS423 20 years, 11 months ago
i hear it''s faster... is it worth it?
Programmers of the world, UNTIE!
Advertisement
Is your code running too slowly right now?

How appropriate. You fight like a cow.
I like it better
How should I know?

I use VC++ 6 and it works fine, so its your choice.

I haven''t tried VC++ .NET yet
.net conforms better to the C++ standard and I've heard it has a faster standard library. I say upgrade. Get me a copy, too.
EDIT: If you have the money, that is...
If you will have to eat nothing but potatos for a month to afford it, then it is not worth it.

[edited by - GaulerTheGoat on May 7, 2003 11:03:05 PM]
I dont use managed code, ugg the framework. But I still create the MFC. The additions to fomr creations and what not is less tedious as compared to vc 6. I use the dx 9 wizard that comes with it for getting started faster

You can get it free on the net
The reasons I''m waiting for 2003 academic to come out eagerly... (I still use VC6)

Faster code because of an advance optimizer.
An awesome runtime debugger (this is what I''ve heard anyway)
A sweet new IDE.
Better standards compliance (has to be a good thing)

And probably alot more... SIMD instructions or some such (dont know the acronym lol) for p3 and higher...

Seems like itll be worth my $100 when the 2k3 academic version is out... I don''t know if it is, or when it will be though.

So that brings me to my question.

Does anyone know when an Academic version of .NET 2k3 will be released?
yeah...my code is a little slow right now...

I''m leaning toward an upgrade.

The acidemic should only be $50...if you want it for $100, check the MS website...

MSVC++ .NET 2003 is only around $100...Visual Studio is alot more, but just C++ is MUCH cheaper...
Programmers of the world, UNTIE!
I upgraded, and love everything about it.
quote:Original post by GaulerTheGoat
.net conforms better to the C++ standard and I've heard it has a faster standard library. I say upgrade. Get me a copy, too.
EDIT: If you have the money, that is...
If you will have to eat nothing but potatos for a month to afford it, then it is not worth it.
Many schools have deals set up with Microsoft which lets teachers give out academic editions of the software package for free. This is how I got my copy.

quote:Original post by Illumini Does anyone know when an Academic version of .NET 2k3 will be released?
I haven't heard anything about 2003 yet... I'll ask around tomorrow.

[EDIT] And yes, .NET is worth the upgrade. The only real pain in the ass is upgrading all your VBX projects to VB.NET.

- Rob Loach
Current Project: Go Through Object-Oriented Programming in C++ by Robert Lafore

"Do or do not. There is no try."
- Yoda

[edited by - Rob Loach on May 8, 2003 12:10:28 PM]
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement