Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

C++ Books

This topic is 5336 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok, I know the basics pretty well, the only problem i''m having with making programs that my friend pointed out to me is I don''t make any pseudo-code I just write out what I think should work and then test it out. The books I''ve been using to learn from are Introduction to Computer SCience with C++ by Kenneth A Lambert and Object Oriented Programming in C++ by Lafore. What should I be focusing on. I''ve got a sound handle on if-then statements, loops, i start stumbling on problems that use nested loops, and i''ve dabbled with recursion a tiny bit. I''ve got other books that seem a bit over my head at the moment. They are "Tricks of the Windows Game Proramming Guru''s", and Design pattern''s, and Effective C++. The latter I just got from my dad but haven''t had a chance to browse through yet.

Nothing wrong with not writing out pseudocode, as long as you can express your design in C++. One thing to keep in mind is that you should spend a LOT of time writing your own programs. I''d say at least three hours programming for every hour reading.

How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

My reading is usually in chunks. When i'm not around a computer i spend my time reading when i'm around it i do programming.

Did a little exercise yesterday taht took close to 5 hours to get it working the way it should have.

supposed to display

using nested loops.

[edited by - Lorek on May 7, 2003 12:04:16 AM]

Participatory learning is much better for programming. Consider limiting your reading between chances to try stuff ouf, i.e., instead of reading a bunch and then programming a bunch, only read one section, over and over, until you can get to a computer.

How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

the thing i''ve been having the most trouble with is figuring out how to do string''s without using these stupid prebuilt includes which I dont have.
aka APstring.h

So how would I go about setting up a string without a prebuilt library. My dad used to program and he said I should be using a Char* array

also I'm supposed to make a program that will read characters from a file and print them omitting all e's. So this is what i have.

#include <iostream.h>
#include <fstream.h>
#include <assert.h>

void main()
{
char ch;
ifstream infile;
infile.open("new");
assert (!infile.fail());

while(!infile.fail())
{
infile.get(ch);
if((ch !='e') || (ch!='E'))
cout << ch;

}
infile.close();
}

The only problem with it is it displays the whole string including all the E's which doesn't make sense.

[edited by - Lorek on May 7, 2003 12:42:40 AM]

if((ch !=''e'') || (ch!=''E''))

Go thru this in your head or on paper. Suppose ch == ''e''.
Then ch != ''E''.

if((ch !=''e'') && (ch!=''E''))

I think this is what you wanted - a common mistake.