Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LeafsFan1986

Help with C

Greetings. I am moving up from java to C now. From what I hear some commands are the exact same. Are there any good tuts out there so I can get started on making pong in C, and also what compilers are good for making games in DOS? I will not try to get DJGPP to work because its to complicated and hard to install and compile things. I want it to be simple like in DevC++. I am using that right now, but I don''t know how to do graphics at all! Can someone help?

Guest Anonymous Poster
There''s diferent things you could do...for example if you want to get it all including graphics/sound/etc you could download the directx package for dev-c++ and learn DirectX. You could also use OpenGl(dev-c++ comes with it...I think...). And if you don''t want to try any of the previous ones you could try allegro
(just search for it on google), this is the easiest one to use and you don''t have to know any windows programming. Of course you could try anything else but I think there are the best options.

First off: Compilers for DOS? If you''re already on a modern system (Java), why move backwards and program in DOS. Although some programmers like to start on DOS (I don''t recommend it but I won''t argue it, many threads have already been dedicated to this purpose) you''ve already started in a multi-tasking, object-oriented environment. DOS is quite limited.

As for C, Java is nothing like C. It is, however, a bit like C++. If you can, get a student version of Visual C++ 6.0 to start with and download the DirectX SDK. I prefer DirectX but you may want to look at OpenGL (or any of the various graphics API''s available) and see which graphics API appeals to you. No one can really help you with graphics until you get a compiler installed on your system. Gotta walk before you can run. Good luck! =)

- Jay

[ Here, taste this ]

dev cpp is a very good choice for programming under windows. and it''s free !

for the graphics :
- opengl ist 3D orientiert. when you''re not experienced with graphics, i suggest you to start with 2D
- directx is very powerfull, but quite hard to learn
- sdl or allegro libraries : they are easy, portable, very good for multimedia-applications (such as games, media-players, ...)

the Seby