Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alpha_ProgDes

an Isometric engine in OpenGL ???

i''ve searched the boards, articles, and Google. i''m having a hard time finding a tutorial on iso-programming in OpenGL. does anyone have any sites they go to or any suggestions on how to proceed with this? and i''m not planning to do a mmorpg or anything ridiculously complicated. i just want to know how to set it up (and handle movements and camera angles, if possible). thanks.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I''m not an expert on OpenGL, but it seem that to create the isometric perspective in 3d is simply a matter of proper camera placement.

I would imagine that movement and all other aspects of the game would be handled as they would in any 3d environment.

quote:
Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
so you would just place the camera at an angle and leave the rest as is?

is that how Warcraft 3 is done?

Warcraft3 isn''t an isometric game, it''s a 3D game. Starcraft is an isometric game. I''m not sure I understand what your goal is, but I see two possibilities :

1- Make a Warcraft 3 looking like game. It''s a regular 3D engine, you just put the camera high enough above the ground and make it look down.

2- Make a starcraft looking like game. Then, it''s basically a 2D game. Look for isometric tutorials using DirectDraw/SDL/etc. and "using OpenGL for 2D" tutorials.

hi,
there is an article on isometric games on amits game programming page.i dont remember the url.search on the google for this site like "Amit''s game programming" etc.u will find there some general discussion on the isometric game programming.