Help with beginning 3D graphics.

Started by
4 comments, last by Astroguru 20 years, 11 months ago
Hi, I want to develop a very basic 3D modelling toolkit as my graduation project. I have a very elementary knowledge of graphics/3d and have programmed a snake game in java which anyway didn't help me learn graphics 'cause u get everything from libraries. I'm unable to decide what type of language should i go for. Should it be OO or structural. Should it be a low level language?Will Directx do? or overDo?and stuff like that. I don't wanna use prebuilt components and classes, rather i want to illustrate the concept of 3D modelling,views,rendering etc. What sort of study i am required to make and where can i get the learning resources? I have just above average programming skills(not to say very good) in java and c++. I am willing to learn a new one but it should preferrably be simple with a not too large learning curve. Impatiently waiting for ur replys. [edited by - astroguru on May 8, 2003 4:35:00 AM] [edited by - astroguru on May 8, 2003 6:55:56 AM]
Advertisement
Aspiring are we?

Seriously, developing a 3D modelling kit seems to me to be a huge project for someone not very experienced in 3D programming, but here's some stuff to get you started...

DirectX vs. OpenGL: Usually the start of a juicy flame war on most of the msgboards Both will do just fine as rendering API's, although OpenGL works better for me. Try NeHe for OpenGL tutorials, or perhaps Two Kings for some DirectX ones.

I think learning either one of these API's is a must, and you can reflect the things you've learned on to your project as you go along. Be prepared for some tough work...

-- Jappie

[edited by - Jappie on May 8, 2003 6:23:52 AM]
----------------------------- JappieBabJap Productions"There's no such things as bugs; they're just unintentional extra features"
All right! maybe you r thinking i am aspiring for a 3ds max!!!!!

Let me make a change to my original post.

"I want to develop a 'very very 'basic 3D modelling toolkit "

So what do u say now. Just tell me where do i begin and where should i look for resources. Well, i don't know directx programming and what i presume is that directx provides primitives for generating simple models. That's not what i want. I want to create the primitives themselves through actual geometrical and mapping procedures. like u have bresenham's circle drawing algo. where u draw a circle putting pixel by pixel, u must be having algos that let u generate solids in some way or the other.(If i sound stupid, let me remind u that i DON'T know 3D Graphics).
Other than creating the solids, I also plan to include basic shading models, 3D viewports, rudimentary lighting methods and the like.
If things look to be too far fetched for a beginner's project, please take liberties to caution me.

Let the tough things come.I am prepared for a tough time.

[edited by - astroguru on May 8, 2003 6:58:00 AM]
caution: detour ahead, please use ROUTE DX or ROUTE GL to go around the construction of the road. either or will bring you to your final destination. (feel free to split your car and yourself in half to take both routes )

------------------------------------------------------------
I really need to update this signature...
If you can't make a decision, the right choice is not to.This link = GameDev.Net Forums
Check out the NeHe tuts. They''re clear, simple, easy to understand and provide an introduction to 3D basics & terminology as well as teach an API to try everything out. Just start playing around with it. Or, as DemonRazer mentioned, take the DirectX route (or both )...

-- Jappie
----------------------------- JappieBabJap Productions"There's no such things as bugs; they're just unintentional extra features"
I found an article on this site in the articles section about making 3d tools using MFC. That could be what you are looking for, though I personally think that MFC is just a really big, powerful, and useless sucker.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement